Part-time practice possible as a sub-specialist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SphereGlobe

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MS3 and very interested in Ophthalmology. It was my favorite basic science module and I also enjoyed my rotation in Ophtho.

In the future, I'd like to leave open the option of practicing part-time if need be. Although I can't predict what will happen down the road, if I end up having a lot of kids, if they end up being a lot more work than anticipated (eg. a problem child, or if a family member has health problems, etc) I'd like to at least have the flexibility of practicing part-time. Is this possible in the Ophthalmology specialties (eg. retina or cornea)?

Sub-specialties aside, how hard is it to negotiate part-time work once you are part of a private practice? How much leverage do sub-specialists have in determining their own work schedules? Does this vary by practice setting (multi-specialty clinic, single physician clinic, sub-specialist-only clinic with many physicians)

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
Why not start your own practice and get 90% busy. Then hire an associate and have them work at 70% of capacity and you at 20% of capacity?