Part time private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychnpgirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen people post about having part time private practices. what resources did you use to create a business plan? I'd like to see at what number of weekly hours and how many months it would take to break even with expenses.

Also, is there such thing as forming a business where you cover for private practice people going on vacations if you live in a wealthy large urban area? Could there be a market for such a thing? If you are a private practice psychiatrist, have you ever wished you had access to a service like this? Or do you not really mind being bothered while you're on vacation/just refer PRN to other psychiatrists you know if a patient has an urgent concern, or to crisis services?

edit.. nevermind, I see there are lots of threads for me to read on generally opening a private practice. But if anyone can speak specifically to part-time private practices or to my other question, that would be great. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most PP psychiatrists will provide their own coverage for short vacations, or simply find a colleague to cover for them, then they will reciprocate and cover for their colleague when they are out of town.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a part time PP. I work Mon Tues and Fri. I do a lot of therapy . I get most of my patients from existing patients, I see relatives but wont do therapy with married couples separately, all members of a family have to agree, I know some think this is wrong. I also get tons of patients from healthgrades. I have no idea exactly how much I make because I am always way behind on my billing. I could have a lot more patients if I sent letters to doctors with business cards, advertised in psychology today, etc. But I am currently moonlighting 2 weekends a month in a hospital and I am supposed to start working in a clinic for med management and evals tomorrow (no contact for a long time so I am assuming it's still on) as an independent contractor for $150 an hour whether the patient shows or now low acuity patients 7.5 hours a day. I really dream of flipping to family medicine (I don't think it's possible but would LOVE to), so I don't work a lot. I could have a full practice if I wanted. I work just on the outskirts of a very affluent area where a lot of providers charge quite a bit and cash only and do therapy with med management. I have a small office in a suite. It is decorated really nice and I paid a lot for the furniture. My patients all have my cell number and can call anytime. I have learned to set boundaries and they now only call for emergencies. I do my own call for vacations.

Reactions: 2 users