Part time VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nexus73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does VA provide benefits at 0.5-0.75 FTE?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to find an answer to this as well...

It depends on the benefit. For instance, you may be eligible for FERS (pension) or TSP (equivalent of Roth or 401(k) retirement plan) as a part-time employee, but not the full benefit. If you are talking about FEHB (health insurance), the resource I found said you qualify for at least of part of it if you are .75 FTE (although I heard word-of-mouth you get the full benefit at 0.85). If you are able to speak with any of the recruiters, they typically know about the benefits.

Cost of Insurance

Part Time Federal Service | Annuity Impact & Calculations

Understanding How Part-Time Service Affects FERS Retirement - Part II

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've also heard 0.75 FTE.

Most employers and the government requires working 30hrs/week to be eligible for health insurance. This is 0.75 FTE.

There are a few loopholes to this, but most psych jobs want us there FT and health insurance is the bait.

Part time VA jobs are a rare thing. They require a lot of work on the part of the supervisor and other admin people for...less benefit. Grab that if you're being offered it as it's not super likely to come again.

The VA is 4/5 days per week in my experience.

Part time VA jobs are a rare thing. They require a lot of work on the part of the supervisor and other admin people for...less benefit. Grab that if you're being offered it as it's not super likely to come again.
At my branch, maybe 75% of the new psychiatrists I've spoken to are full time, but the ones with seniority are more often 0.5-0.8 FTE, even in leadership positions. Seems like once you're there a while they'd rather keep you on at part-time than have to recruit as many new people. If you want to do 0.75 there's a good chance they'd say yes, just reach out, and get everything in writing or it isn't guaranteed

At my branch, maybe 75% of the new psychiatrists I've spoken to are full time, but the ones with seniority are more often 0.5-0.8 FTE, even in leadership positions. Seems like once you're there a while they'd rather keep you on at part-time than have to recruit as many new people. If you want to do 0.75 there's a good chance they'd say yes, just reach out, and get everything in writing or it isn't guaranteed
Why not just get a full time VA job it’s like working .75 FTE anyway

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, as you get more senior, part time becomes more possible because it's worth the effort to keep you as opposed to starting with that. And yes, I think most mental health jobs are now compressed work schedules where you get one RDO every week or other week. It's still mostly 80 hours per 2 week pay period, however. I'm definitely a regular business hours five day a week kind of person, however.

Yes, as you get more senior, part time becomes more possible because it's worth the effort to keep you as opposed to starting with that. And yes, I think most mental health jobs are now compressed work schedules where you get one RDO every week or other week. It's still mostly 80 hours per 2 week pay period, however. I'm definitely a regular business hours five day a week kind of person, however.
If you are young/single/DINK 3 12's or 4 10's seems amazing. Once offspring emerge 9-5 or .75FTE is pretty ideal. We employee a few relatively young docs that are working 0.8 FTE due to having young children and while I am certainly a 1FTE kind of guy, I do think they are making a great decision as well.

^This^
VA can offer part time with PTO, sick and prorated health benefits for as little as 0.5 FTE but they generally require a chair who is willing to put in for the position.