giizsb

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2013
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am a southern California resident and I graduated from UC Berkeley this May with a degree in biology and used the summer (June-Sept) to only study as I was taking TPR course. I took the MCAT last week, which I voided.
I plan to study more and take it again in January 2018. As I prepare for the exam, I want to either work part-time or volunteer to boost my application.
However, I am not sure what kind of activity I should do until my test in Jan.
I already have a full-time clinical internship offer that I am starting in February and I plan to apply to medical schools in June.
I am also writing my approximated stats so you can have a better idea what to recommend for me!

GPA 3.8 science GPA 3.7something all upward trend
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical — 750 hrs
Extracurricular Activities — 180 hrs
Leadership — 120 hrs
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical — None yet. I will have this experience beginning from Feb through the internship
Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical — 120 hrs
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation - 39 hrs
Research/Lab — 1500 hrs +

TLDR:
Gap year
May - Sept: Studied for MCAT + took the exam
Sept - Jan: Study for MCAT + volunteer at a local animal shelter (4hrs/wk) + ??

A side question: I don't have any publications with the amount of experience I have in working in labs. I worked in 3 labs (one as an animal husbandry tech, one summer internship, one undergraduate research assistant + worked on my senior thesis) but the last lab that I devoted most time into wasn't even actively publishing papers.

I'm worried because it feels like I am not really using the gap year to its fullest.
I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

DrHart

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Non medical community service... if possible, with an underserved community or with people who are different from yourself. Soup kitchen, food pantry, tutoring kids, helping out in a retirement/assisted living home, non-profits that take volunteers, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.