Partially matched--Prelim scramble strategy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukeybootie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

-Didn't match prelim/TY, but matched for anesthesia
-Top anesthesia choices located in Boston, NYC, Philly
-How to approach prelim/TY scramble with regard to program location? Just go with the location of your top choice and hope for the best?

Thanks for any help. Congrats to all!

dukeybootie

Members don't see this ad.

i heard that you can call the deans office and they can tell you what city/state you matched in. You may want to verify with your dean.

(!) Really? That would be something. I tried calling my deans office and wouldn't you know it, all staff is in a meeting right now. Can anyone speak to the validity of this statement or is it just a cruel tease of a rumor?

Damn!! I need a beer! Now! #$%@#%#^@

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with a rep at NRMP a while back and he said that if you don't match in a prelim and do match in anesthesia, they will tell you what city you matched in so you can scramble in the same city. So Call NRMP not your deans office.
Good Luck

Originally posted by dukeybootie
(!) Really? That would be something. I tried calling my deans office and wouldn't you know it, all staff is in a meeting right now. Can anyone speak to the validity of this statement or is it just a cruel tease of a rumor?

Damn!! I need a beer! Now! #$%@#%#^@

i am in the same boat as you. my dean told me what city i matched anesthesia so i can look for ty/prelim spot. like someone else said u can call nrmp and i would imagine they could tell u as well. good luck.

edit: called nrmp and they *will* tell you what city you matched in for your advanced position. i hope this helps.

Will NRMP tell you what city you matched in for anesthesia if you matched prelim as well? Or is that just for partially matched applicants?

There is lots of Transitional left over. Heck this year there is alot of everything left over. Even derm has some??!!??

You guys are great. Thanks for the help!

Story: Called up NRMP who said they couldn't tell me unless I was couples matching, but then said my dean's office would know and could tell me. Which they did, and they did. Still have scrambling work to do, of course, but this lessens the disappointment significantly.

I hope we can all post our results after Thursday, perhaps see if some of us will be training together. This forum is so chill, I hope it carries over in person if we ever meet.

hey guys,

jsut helping a friend ask a question - what personal statement are you guys using for the TY/prelim scramble? anesthesia or what?

thanks a bunch!

OK Here's a strategy question?

I am currently a PGY-1, and want to switch to Anesthesia.
Should I try to scramble for a PGY-2 for 2005 or start the hunt for a PGY-2 for 2004?

Any thoughts would be appreciated