Partially matched!

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by tdk9010, Mar 15, 2004.

1. tdk9010

tdk9010 Junior Member

Does anyone know how easy it will be to scramble into a PGY 1 spots. Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. nradsoit3

nradsoit3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Prelim med and transitional programs usually are quite competitve. But I wouldn't stress too much if you can't snatch up one of those in the scramble. There are always plenty of prelim surgery spots that remain. Most of those surgery openings on the regional match outcomes list are prelim rather than categorical. Congrats on matching by the way!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Finally M3

Finally M3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Did you get a partial response from NRMP tdk? (ie congrats you matched...but not a prelim/TY) Or did you just not apply to one?

I just got the 'Congrats you matched' message and I'm dying to know if that means I matched a PGY2 or a categorical program...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. docmojo

docmojo Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does the site say "partially matched" if you matched to an advanced program but not a prelim? My message just said that I matched. I assume this means that I matched to a categorical program.

5. drlee

drlee Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

"Fully matched applicants WILL NOT receive ANY information on unfilled programs/
    positions by email or be able to access it on the NRMP web site."

If your email said "Congratulations, you have matched," that means you fully matched into a prelim AND categorical. You have absolutely nothing to worry about!!
    I received the above email....i'm now working on my 3rd beer!! :D

6. drjdiz

drjdiz Member
    7+ Year Member

If you get a message that says "Congratulations you matched", that could mean that either you matched in a Categorical (4-year) program or that you matched into both a prelim and a Advanced (3 year program). I too was wondering about that so I called NRMP to find out. Good luck everyone on Thursday and to all those needing a prelim spot.

7. Finally M3

Finally M3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    +pissed+

Thanks Drjdiz for the NRMPs sadistic response...

Honestly, why doesn't NRMP just release everything on one day? Would releasing WHERE we matched on the same day those who didn't match get notified really change matters for scramblers?

+pissed+

8. gaslady

gaslady Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes it would change it for the scramblers because everyone would know they didn't match.

9. doc_strange2001

doc_strange2001 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

if you want to know who didnt match just walk by the deans office tommorow @1 pm. Everyone eventually knows who didnt match. At least here

10. ryanbeckworth

ryanbeckworth Member
    7+ Year Member

go to the dean's office to see who's holding me up. Gotta get something out of this wait!

11. scoobydum

scoobydum Member
    10+ Year Member

That's not cool at all man....I hope you're joking cuz that would quite TOOLISH of you. :rolleyes:

12. Jingojango

Jingojango Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's a monkeywrench- I got a Congrats you matched message, even a kick back and relax, no need to scramble email. The thing is I ONLY applied to Advanced spots and didn't rank or interview at any prelim/transitional positions.

Gonna call NRMP tomorrow to try to sort things out, meanwhile is anyone else in similar straits?

13. supahfresh

supahfresh un paradis du gangster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My logic tells me that if you did not rank a prelim spot, then the computer does not see it as an unmatch. see what i'm getting at?
    you got your match and nothing was left unresolved.

14. Jingojango

Jingojango Member
    7+ Year Member

Nah.

I have a couple buddies that did the same thing I did and got the Congrats you matched, but ya gotta scamble for PGY1 spot tomorrow.

Nice try though:)

BTW, didn't get a chance to call NRMP today, so will try to unravel mystery tomorrow.

15. vertigo

vertigo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know how many prelim spots are left over at the end of the scramble? my sig other is in the same situation and looking for a transitional (unlikely now)/prelim med/prelim surg program. Thanks!:clap:

16. drjdiz

drjdiz Member
    7+ Year Member

Jimbojango,
    I am sorry if I have given you wrong information, but I addressed that scenario with the NRMP representative directly, one where you ranked a 3 year spot and did not rank a prelim program in your supplemental list.

He said that in that case you will get an email that says that you did not match in a preliminary program or something like that, but you will definitely be aware that you did not match in one.

I had the same situation for one of my programs and that is how I found out for sure that I am not going there.

Good luck JJ

17. gotosleep

gotosleep your friendly neighborhood perioperative physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    congratulations to those who matched, and good luck to those in the scramble.

i am an img who signed out of the match for prelim med and matched through the nrmp for an advanced position. my match message stated:

"Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first year position!"

so, to confirm dr. djizum's info, a message of "you have matched" means you matched categorical or prelim + advanced.

cheers_________raf ms-4.99