Partner, Child, DPM, and MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmaJC

Just a Girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I posted this in another area, but after looking at this thread it seems to be more suited for this place.
So, here goes: Both my SO and I are graduating undergrad this June, he's going on to podiatry school, I'm going on the my MD/PhD, and we have a little one; he's actually not that little, he'll be 5 in July. I am totally excited/nervous etc. about what is to come, and am looking for advice from others that have done it/are doing it. What would be really cool would be to find another MD/PhD with children (from a female pov would be even better, but guys are ok too since they'll have their own take on it), or even a couple where both parents have gone on to graduate/professional studies. Thanks guys! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, I posted this in another area, but after looking at this thread it seems to be more suited for this place.
So, here goes: Both my SO and I are graduating undergrad this June, he's going on to podiatry school, I'm going on the my MD/PhD, and we have a little one; he's actually not that little, he'll be 5 in July. I am totally excited/nervous etc. about what is to come, and am looking for advice from others that have done it/are doing it. What would be really cool would be to find another MD/PhD with children (from a female pov would be even better, but guys are ok too since they'll have their own take on it), or even a couple where both parents have gone on to graduate/professional studies. Thanks guys! :oops:

Wheres he planning on going for Podiatry school?
I know people at my school that have families, and still get by. The DPM program is similarly rigorous as an MD program, well since we take most of the same classes and labs. However, it can be done with time management, and determination.

I'm also a parent, but male and only going for the MD. My wife is also a healthcare professional and has a lot of flexibility in how she sets her own schedule to work around mine(e.g., she works weekends). I'm starting this summer/fall. From what I have heard it can be done. Some schools might be more flexible in this respect, so you'll want to talk to students that are going to your specific school(s).

You have one child who is almost 5. That should be doable. What is your class schedule? Can you spend a lot of time at home studying (since you will need to study a lot)? I recently spoke with a mom with young kids who is doing a MD/PhD at the school that I will be attending. She seems happy and her husband has a professional 8-5+ job. It can be done. I'm sure you will figure something out even though it won't be easy when your almost 5-yr-old is sick.