partnerships/working for private docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spanisheyes

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious, if you're working for a private doctor, do you get paid for how many patients you see, salary, hourly, a combination of those? and same if you have a partner

I know it varies but if you've had experience with this, please share
 
from my experince, working for a private doctor/ OD he paid me # of hours worked in a day say 8 times "X" amount per hour. Or "Y" salary for the day. Many times, I went over the 8 hour day and saw patients 3-4 after the 8 hour day BUT he never gave me anymore money. That's my fault for never asking b/c we sort of became more buddy buddy and friends. Some days, I saw significantly less patients in a 8 hour day and still got paid. give and take kind of thing. I should be more aggressive with paymeent as to my services but I am not. getting paid for each patients MIGHT not be a good idea unless, you agree after seeing 20 patients more or less than he/she pays you more. I should learn to speak up.
 
When I worked as an optometric assistant, the associates were getting 50% of what they made at the clinic (ie. eye exams, contact lens fits, contact lenses). Another OD said he got 75% of what he made at one clinic and 100% at an optical store.

Has anyone heard of this?