partnerships/working for private docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanisheyes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, if you're working for a private doctor, do you get paid for how many patients you see, salary, hourly, a combination of those? and same if you have a partner

I know it varies but if you've had experience with this, please share

Members don't see this ad.

from my experince, working for a private doctor/ OD he paid me # of hours worked in a day say 8 times "X" amount per hour. Or "Y" salary for the day. Many times, I went over the 8 hour day and saw patients 3-4 after the 8 hour day BUT he never gave me anymore money. That's my fault for never asking b/c we sort of became more buddy buddy and friends. Some days, I saw significantly less patients in a 8 hour day and still got paid. give and take kind of thing. I should be more aggressive with paymeent as to my services but I am not. getting paid for each patients MIGHT not be a good idea unless, you agree after seeing 20 patients more or less than he/she pays you more. I should learn to speak up.

thanks for your feedback. so I'm guessing this is how it usually works?

When I worked as an optometric assistant, the associates were getting 50% of what they made at the clinic (ie. eye exams, contact lens fits, contact lenses). Another OD said he got 75% of what he made at one clinic and 100% at an optical store.

Has anyone heard of this?