mammalmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2004
California
www.myspace.com
Status
Veterinary Student
I was just curious if anyone out there has ever heard of a dog who was fully vaccinated getting parvo. At our hospital we have had 4 cases of dogs who are at least 6 months old and have had 4 parvo vaccines. The vaccine company that we use is shearing-plough (not sure of the spelling). Does anyone know if the virus has mutated to a new strain, or if Shearing-plough is having any recalls on their vaccines due to contammination? Another possibility is the temperature of the refrigerator that we keep the vaccines in. I know too hot or too cold of temperatures can inactivate the vaccines. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

chris03333

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
Status
:(
mammalmama said:
I was just curious if anyone out there has ever heard of a dog who was fully vaccinated getting parvo. At our hospital we have had 4 cases of dogs who are at least 6 months old and have had 4 parvo vaccines. The vaccine company that we use is shearing-plough (not sure of the spelling). Does anyone know if the virus has mutated to a new strain, or if Shearing-plough is having any recalls on their vaccines due to contammination? Another possibility is the temperature of the refrigerator that we keep the vaccines in. I know too hot or too cold of temperatures can inactivate the vaccines. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
How do you know for sure they had four vaccinations (meaning was the vaccines done in your clinic, did the owner get them somewhere else...) The reason I ask is maybe they did not get the vaccines that are said, or if they did who knows how the vaccines were handled etc.

To answer your question, yes I have heard of "fully vaccinated" dogs geting parvo. :(