PAs and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Can PA's do surgery? If so, do they have to go through extra schooling? or Licensing. How does it all work.

Thanks, Chan

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, of course. There are CV, Ortho, Neuro, and General Surgery PA's to name a few. Generally, it's a first assist position that also involves clinic, pre/post op work-ups/rounds, and the like. Technically you 'can' get into a surgery position straight out of PA school, as the PA model allows for OJT. i.e.-Find a surgeon that's willing to "Take you on" (Usually at a steep discount, but hey, it's all good experience). Considering the competative nature of the surgery scene, many PA's also opt to go to post graduate surgery internships, of which there are aplenty. Others, use their "pre-PA experience" to get them in the door ("I was an OR tech for a million years, blah blah", or "I did suturing as a medic in the military"...). Usually the pay scheme involves a "base" salary plus production bonus.

chan said:
Hi. Can PA's do surgery? If so, do they have to go through extra schooling? or Licensing. How does it all work.

Thanks, Chan

According to the AAPA's 2004 census highlights, 26.5% of PAs report assisting in surgery at their jobs.

You can find out very helpful information at the following website:
American Academy of Physician Assistants