PA's getting advanced placement in Med schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by montray, Jan 30, 2001.

1. montray

montray New Member

I am currently in PA school in Texas and am already considering going to med school. I have repeatedly heard rumors that some Med schools (MD or DO...i dont remember which) accept PA's and other helath professionals into advanced placement into their programs. If anyone knows of such programs or can dispell this rumor i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member

The ONLY reliable answer to your question must come the osteopathic colleges themselves.

Go to: www.aacom.org

On the home page, click on colleges; you will find phone numbers to call for each college. Ask your question there.

TCOM is the only one in Texas.

Cast your net widely for you may get different responses to your question.

4. Cottontop

Cottontop Member

The answer to your question about advanced standing for PAs is simple: NO.

The only candidates eligible for advanced standing in medical school (DO or MD)are those that hold a PhD in a biological/physical science field. Then they are exempt only from the coursework in which they specialized.

5. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire

Sorry, but at my school no one got advanced standing. I don't know about PhDs, but in my class we had a pharmacist, a chiropractor, a vet, a PA and several folks with masters degrees in various sciences. It didn't make any difference.

6. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member

In at least one of the osteopathic schools I applied to I noticed the following statement in their handbook/catalog:
    "An applicant may be granted advanced standing if he/she holds one of the following degrees from an accredited college: an M.D, a Ph.D, or a D.D.S/D.M.D."

Check the catalogs. Most have information on advanced standing and/or transfer information.