SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

PA's getting advanced placement in Med schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by montray, Jan 30, 2001.

1. montray

montray New Member

Jan 30, 2001
    I am currently in PA school in Texas and am already considering going to med school. I have repeatedly heard rumors that some Med schools (MD or DO...i dont remember which) accept PA's and other helath professionals into advanced placement into their programs. If anyone knows of such programs or can dispell this rumor i would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gower

gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    The ONLY reliable answer to your question must come the osteopathic colleges themselves.

Go to: www.aacom.org

On the home page, click on colleges; you will find phone numbers to call for each college. Ask your question there.

TCOM is the only one in Texas.

Cast your net widely for you may get different responses to your question.

4. Cottontop

Cottontop Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2000
    The answer to your question about advanced standing for PAs is simple: NO.

The only candidates eligible for advanced standing in medical school (DO or MD)are those that hold a PhD in a biological/physical science field. Then they are exempt only from the coursework in which they specialized.

5. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire 10+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Sorry, but at my school no one got advanced standing. I don't know about PhDs, but in my class we had a pharmacist, a chiropractor, a vet, a PA and several folks with masters degrees in various sciences. It didn't make any difference.

6. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Fairbanks, AK USA
    In at least one of the osteopathic schools I applied to I noticed the following statement in their handbook/catalog:
    "An applicant may be granted advanced standing if he/she holds one of the following degrees from an accredited college: an M.D, a Ph.D, or a D.D.S/D.M.D."

Check the catalogs. Most have information on advanced standing and/or transfer information.