PASS, ADEA etc etc Please help....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reccos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can someone please explain to me the different application systems that are used. I'm confused. There's PASS, there's ADEA etc etc...somem school participate in them..others don't...

Is there anyone who can explain this whole system of applying for GPRs/specialities in a nutshelll....I would really appreciate it..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the deadline to apply to Pass programs is around the corner. Sept 19. If you are not set on going to a particular program you could wait until Post match and apply to a program where no one matched. It would save you $$$. That is unless you think you can get everything done( request treanscripts, letter of intent, letters of rec,) within the next couple days.

Your best bet is to visit the PASS section of the ADEA website located at:

www.adea.org

PASS stands for postdoctoral application support service. It is essentially a clearinghouse for information. They will submit your essay, transcript, evaluations, and other pertinent information to the programs you designate that also participate in their service. This is similar to AADSAS for predoctoral students and they charge a fee for their service. Not all programs participate in PASS. They may have their own application. Many PASS programs require you have a Match number as well. Each program that participates in PASS has a "PASS deadline" by which your application has to reach the office in Washington to be delivered to the program by the "program deadline." The PASS website is fairly self-explanatory and I urge you not to hesitate. Some deadlines have surely passed and I found the most time consuming part of the application was getting evaluations. Professors complete these evaluations on your behalf as a courtesy, and it is hard to pressure them to get them completed rapidly.

Members don't see this ad :)
seablaster said:
Your best bet is to visit the PASS section of the ADEA website located at:

www.adea.org

PASS stands for postdoctoral application support service. It is essentially a clearinghouse for information. They will submit your essay, transcript, evaluations, and other pertinent information to the programs you designate that also participate in their service. This is similar to AADSAS for predoctoral students and they charge a fee for their service. Not all programs participate in PASS. They may have their own application. Many PASS programs require you have a Match number as well. Each program that participates in PASS has a "PASS deadline" by which your application has to reach the office in Washington to be delivered to the program by the "program deadline." The PASS website is fairly self-explanatory and I urge you not to hesitate. Some deadlines have surely passed and I found the most time consuming part of the application was getting evaluations. Professors complete these evaluations on your behalf as a courtesy, and it is hard to pressure them to get them completed rapidly.

Thanks for the info, but aren't there other online application systems like PASS too? I can't remmeber, but I'm sure I've herad of people discussing other applications systems for GPRS and specialties...

Another question, so if I'm appying for a GPR/speciality, there are two ways:
1 - directly to the school
2 - through PASS

is this correct or is tehre a third way?

Thanks

I am fairly sure that PASS is the only nationwide application service that covers so many schools/specialties. If you have heard otherwise, I would ask those individuals. Your other statement sounds reasonable. I think most programs take PASS or have their own custom application. You should visit the website of every program you are interested in or contact them directly to find out. Some programs will require you to submit a supplemental application even if they accept PASS. Once again, it's best to contact each program and find out their requirements.