Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myribosomesbad

Reaction score
I currently have a 3.9+ GPA and have never gotten below an A- in any of my classes. Unfortunately, in my last semester before applying, it looks very likely that I will have a B or B+ in one of my classes (this is for a primate evolutionary biology class so it's not a premed requisite, and is a pretty difficult class that I'm taking with graduate students; I thought it would be fun for some reason, but it's a lot more challenging than I thought). Do you think it would be wise to pass/fail the course, or keep it in my transcript and have it lower my GPA to below 3.9?

Thanks all for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a 3.9+ GPA and have never gotten below an A- in any of my classes. Unfortunately, in my last semester before applying, it looks very likely that I will have a B or B+ in one of my classes (this is for a primate evolutionary biology class so it's not a premed requisite, and is a pretty difficult class that I'm taking with graduate students; I thought it would be fun for some reason, but it's a lot more challenging than I thought). Do you think it would be wise to pass/fail the course, or keep it in my transcript and have it lower my GPA to below 3.9?

Thanks all for your help
Keep it graded so it doesn't stand out as different from your other classes. Upper level bio courses are expected to be more difficult, and a B won't make a significant difference in your GPA nor look like a downward trend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Keep the grade.

Chicago Pd Nbc GIF by One Chicago

Hiding your B makes it look like you can't handle even the slightest of criticisms. Just push to do better.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Keep the B.

I had all A's and A+'s, and one P/F score. That P/F score was from an upper level bio class from the winter 2020 semester (the semester when covid hit and everything went online).

This single P/F stood out in my transcript, and I was asked about it in one interview (from the vibes, it seemed like my interviewer was curious about it).

I felt my interviewer was satisfied with my answer which I briefly explained that it was during that semester when covid hit, and the reasons that professor decided to make the course P/F.

So, if you do make this course a pass/fail, be ready to have a good explanation!

Reactions: 1 user