pass/no pass class?

Started by Bdtran
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bdtran

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm currently take a pre-req class to get into general chemistry (prep for general chem) since its not a pre-requiste course to apply to PT school, should I take it as pass/no pass so that if I don't get a stellar grade it won't affect my gpa? Would it look bad at all that I took the class as pass/no pass, when I apply?
 
I would only take it pass fail if you think there is a high likelihood you will get less than a B. In the grand scheme of things one class does not affect your cumulative GPA much at all. And if you can't get a B or higher in this class honestly you are going to struggle with PT pre-reqs and getting into PT school.

Really though taking it pass-fail would probably go largely unnoticed by anyone looking at your application. But there's still no reason to try to game the system.

Maybe others have a different opinion than me on this one. I'm interested to hear either way, I don't think I've every really encountered this question before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you should get a stellar grade if it's a pre-req for a pre-req
I agree...it counts towards your science and math GPA which a lot of schools look at closely as part of the admissions process. So it would be wise to try and get an A in the class even if it isn't a pre-req.
 
Good point...science GPA can play a role at some schools...most of the time pre-req GPA is the number that matters most, but there are definitely schools out there where sGPA is a key factor.