Pass/No Pass Classes for non science pre req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FattySlug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took two social science classes and a writing class for P/NP (all of them are in quarters). If schools don't accept them I only need to finish the classes before matriculation, if accepted, right? Do they affect admissions decisions at all?

I read the requirement on a few schools and none of them mention how pre req have to be taken for a grade so I forgot about this until now.

Members don't see this ad.

If schools don't accept them I only need to finish the classes before matriculation, if accepted, right? Do they affect admissions decisions at all?

I didn't think social science or writing classes were pre-reqs for medical school. so i'm confused as to why it wouldn't be acceptable/unacceptable.

I didn't think social science or writing classes were pre-reqs for medical school. so i'm confused as to why it wouldn't be acceptable/unacceptable.

This is school dependent. The only school that requires social sciences/humanities that I know of is USC. The writing requirement is listed for a lot of schools. You should check to make sure you get them done before graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is school dependent. The only school that requires social sciences/humanities that I know of is USC. The writing requirement is listed for a lot of schools. You should check to make sure you get them done before graduation.

LOL i'm done w/ those reqs. I thought you were asking.

I took two social science classes and a writing class for P/NP (all of them are in quarters). If schools don't accept them I only need to finish the classes before matriculation, if accepted, right? Do they affect admissions decisions at all?

I read the requirement on a few schools and none of them mention how pre req have to be taken for a grade so I forgot about this until now.

Schools will typically not accept P/NP or P/F classes for their requirements because they want to see a grade of C or better in prereq classes. I'm not too sure if they accept admissions decisions but I know I was accepted at schools that require biochem without even taking biochem yet so there's that for ya. Usually schools will just say that your acceptance is conditional on completing all the prereqs if they accept you before you finish them.

I'd get on that now though if I were you...I'm pretty sure at least the writing class won't be accepted if its P/NP.

I was thinking about doing the Pass/Fail option for one of my Bio classes, instead of possibly getting a C. What do you guys think about this? Would I have to retake the Bio class for it to be accepted? The reason why I'm thinking about changing my grading option is because I don't want to mess up my GPA, but I don't know how med schools will look at a Pass grade for a bio class. I'm not sure what to do right now.

I think it's generally accepted that all pre-reqs will be taken for a letter grade.

I was thinking about doing the Pass/Fail option for one of my Bio classes, instead of possibly getting a C. What do you guys think about this? Would I have to retake the Bio class for it to be accepted? The reason why I'm thinking about changing my grading option is because I don't want to mess up my GPA, but I don't know how med schools will look at a Pass grade for a bio class. I'm not sure what to do right now.
So do you already have enough biology classes to take care of your prereqs or not?

So do you already have enough biology classes to take care of your prereqs or not?

No not yet. This is the second class in a series of three at the university I'm taking it at. Would it be wise to change to pass/no pass, and then retake it? Or, should I risk getting a possible C?

Edit: Reason why is because I screwed up the first exam, and I'm already taking four other classes and doing well in those.

No not yet. This is the second class in a series of three at the university I'm taking it at. Would it be wise to change to pass/no pass, and then retake it? Or, should I risk getting a possible C?

Edit: Reason why is because I screwed up the first exam, and I'm already taking four other classes and doing well in those.
I would go ahead and just take the class for a grade and move on, assuming you have a decent GPA already and you think you can move on the third class in the series and do well. Some of us, including myself, have been accepted with multiple C's on our transcripts (in my case, two C's).

However, if your GPA is low already or you really need a strong upward trend to mitigate past academic performance, then I would strongly consider the P/F option

I would check with particular schools that you're interested in, but I do know that if you are accepted and there is a pre-req that hasn't been completed, you generally have to complete it with a letter grade before matriculating.