passed COMLEX, failed USMLE, retake USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i didn't pass by a couple of points so i'm willing to try it again. my question is if residency programs look down upon a previous fail? the other issue is i'm not sure how much better i can do. i do get a 1month vacation block next so i thought i'd give it my all and see what happens. i'm leaning towards IM as of now. i'm also concerned about how many allopathic residencies will accept the comlex.

Members don't see this ad.

From the information you supply, I would strongly urge you to re-take the USMLE. I say this as a board-certified internist and as a former Internal
Medicine Residency Director. I am sure you can find a good residency with only
COMLEX. But: you will broaden your options with having both COMLEX and USMLE and, if you prepare energetically and efficiently for the USMLE in the time you have, you will be a better resident and clinician. As soon as residency begins
you will not have the luxury of a whole month for study. As the old saying goes,
"When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that you set out to drain the swamp!".

I know I can help you, but whatever study plan you choose, please concentrate
on passing the USMLE. Whatever the outcome, it will be time well spent.

Dr Youel.

i didn't pass by a couple of points so i'm willing to try it again. my question is if residency programs look down upon a previous fail? the other issue is i'm not sure how much better i can do. i do get a 1month vacation block next so i thought i'd give it my all and see what happens. i'm leaning towards IM as of now. i'm also concerned about how many allopathic residencies will accept the comlex.

retake the USMLE