BOTH Passed Comlex failed USMLE...what do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superscrewed2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know this has been asked before but I have read through the other posts and I was hoping that someone could provide some insight to my situation.

COMLEX = Pass (my score wasn't stellar but a pass is a pass and all I can do now is attempt to do better on Step II).

USMLE = 188 (FAIL)

Here's the thing. I really regret taking the USMLE because I have a strong interest in applying to Osteopathic primary care (FM/IM) programs and I am not going to participate in the MD match because I don't really see the point (there are a ton of great DO residencies that are in my area). If you're interested in why I even took the USMLE it's because many people that I trust and respect told me that it would be a valuable addition to my resume (they were right, they were just assuming I would pass lol).

My question is, do I need to retake USMLE step I to make up for my failing score or can I get away with my scores as is in the AOA match? To be honest I don't have a ton of confidence that I can take it and score significantly better. Do I think I can pass? Yes. Do I think I can score well enough to make up for a fail? Probably not.

My plan as of now (which may change) is to NOT re-take the USMLE, rock 3rd and 4th year, crush Comlex II early on (to have a score early on in interview season), and apply to AOA programs only.

Here's where I'm worried....

I know that I have to report to ERAS that I took the USMLE, but that I don't have to report my score if I don't want to. I feel like I'm in a lose/lose situation with the fail because IMO both of these options suck. Also I know that some people chose not to report that they even took the exam, but ERAS does technically require it (as far as I can tell) you just don't have to report the score. I would personally have a hard time with lying on an application, so that's not going to be an option for me. All that being said...

What's my best option?
1) Reporting the fail
2) Reporting that I took the test and then not releasing the score (an option for DO students currently)

Thanks guys for any input

Members don't see this ad.

#2 is probably the best so you can focus on step 2 and rotations. That said, some residents at my home institution asked why did they choose not to report, since it probably means you scored poorly. Since you are looking at primary care only, they don't care about board scores so just move on.

#2 is probably the best so you can focus on step 2 and rotations. That said, some residents at my home institution asked why did they choose not to report, since it probably means you scored poorly. Since you are looking at primary care only, they don't care about board scores so just move on.

Thank you for the advice