Passed step3 on second attempt - my experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joan80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not lose hope! I was so close to be thrown out of residency of not passing this exam on time ( Score 89). This time I did it and am very happy. Being positive is all we need to pass this very difficult and vague exam. Above everything, have failth in GOD.

I followed the following resources:

Study time 3 months
nbme score 390 - nbme may not really correlate with the true exam score because of CCS

a)Kaplan step 2 Notes - read Step 3 Videos Once along with above notes.
b) UW x did twice - got 58% ( read all explainations thoroughly)
c) Dr Red CCS workshop. Very useful/ i scored very high on CCS - I think i passed mainly because of CCS. You will get to practice many recent cases with Dr Red
d) UW CCS - read all the cases at least once
e) Dr Red live Rapid review - i took the one in december ( Internal medicine review is the best. OBGYN is very targeted, make sure you read all his slides thoroughly, many Qs from these slides)
f) Do crush step3 few pages every day one week before your exam - very helpful
g) Do sportsmedicine and orthopedics from Swansons and Dr Red slides.

My mistakes:
1. I was caught up with some Qs and spent too much time. Please avoid this as there are many more easy Qs and you might miss answering them
2. make sure to advance the clock quickly on CCS as cases will end when the 20 minutes are over and sometimes, you cannot complete all the required steps on the case.

Good luck to you all. God bless you
Antonio

Members don't see this ad.

I took Step 3 after a year of Path Residency, so if I can pass on the first try anyone can....(type in your orders! WTH!?...I don't do this crap!) :mad:

I did all the Questions for USMLEWorld Step 3 and read over their 88 CS section. I also did the studentconsult interactive CS section where you type in the orders and such and it gives you feed back. I studied about 3 months and that was enough. The test wasn't that bad, just more of a marathon being 2 days and all. I thought the CS section was a breeze, a friend of mine took it the same day and killed a patient and still passed, so don't freak if that happens to you. :sleep: