Passing/Average score on BCPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDozier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any recent numbers on the passing/average score on the BCPS? I know that it varies from year to year. It's crunch time for the spring exam and took the ACCP mock exam and needed to get an idea of where I stand. Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I heard anything about an average score. Pretty sure passing is always 500, scaled. The pass rate for first-time test takers in Fall 2016 was like 60%.

Hey does anyone have any recent numbers on the passing/average score on the BCPS? I know that it varies from year to year. It's crunch time for the spring exam and took the ACCP mock exam and needed to get an idea of where I stand. Many thanks.

Hey do you by chance know how much of the ACCP mock exam reflects how you will do on the real exam? I got 58% on the ACCP mock exam for 2017. Im worried im not going to do well on the actual exam. Surprisingly I did well on the biostats part and TERRIBLE on the pharmacotherapy part, mostly cause I didn't know anything for oncology. Any advice? Did you find the Mock exam was harder than the real exam?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I think historically a passing score on the real thing has been in the low 60's and around 60-70% of test takers pass. The average score on the mock exam that I took was 59-60 (I ended up with a 66), so you should be pretty close. I haven't taken the real thing yet (I take it Thursday). Most people I've talked to say the real thing is either easier or about the same as the mock (no one has said that it's harder). Hope this helps, just keep fighting!

I think historically a passing score on the real thing has been in the low 60's and around 60-70% of test takers pass. The average score on the mock exam that I took was 59-60 (I ended up with a 66), so you should be pretty close. I haven't taken the real thing yet (I take it Thursday). Most people I've talked to say the real thing is either easier or about the same as the mock (no one has said that it's harder). Hope this helps, just keep fighting!

oh wow, yeah then im pretty screwed cause i keep getting about 50% of things right ....esp on the pharmacotherapy portion of things. I have my exam tomorrow AM! ...so...ive been studying ID all day long cause thats the portion i did poorly in...

oh wow, yeah then im pretty screwed cause i keep getting about 50% of things right ....esp on the pharmacotherapy portion of things. I have my exam tomorrow AM! ...so...ive been studying ID all day long cause thats the portion i did poorly in...
Well good luck, tell us all how it goes. I'm sure you'll do better than you think.

How did the exam go?

How did the exam go?

Honestly, that was a **** show. If you bought the ACCP modules, there are some things that are NOT covered by them and its super random. Some were detailed, some were not, some were really easy like so and so person is 40 something years old lets say, no co-morbidities, what is the BP goal. I don't remember the details of the case but it was like a one-liner sentence asking you a really direct question and I got that wrong cause on my way home I realized I had answered it completely wrong...

Also I think you will do completely fine if you have work experience. I have minimal experience, I work in a small rural hospital so we transfer most of our complex patients so if there was anything complex I never get exposed to it. Some questions were straight out of the guidelines and some you would never know unless you experience it. But i mean, I didn't study well I don't think. I work on an avg of 65 hours a week between on call jobs. I took the ACCP mock exam and got around 56-58% correct, and the mock exam I think only helped me find what I was weak in but the questions on the exam could be tricky. I had to re-read most of them twice to figure out what they were really asking. I truly believe I failed this exam. there was a lot of guessing that no book or study module could probably teach me to learn, I would think I would get the answer right if I had a similar experience in real life. No book could teach me that. hope this helps. Good luck. I have a feeling ill be re-taking it...

what is the highest score have you heard one has gotten on the BCPS exam?

600? honestly I don't think it matters cause people just want to pass. I would love to just have 500. I know someone who got 498 and didn't pass and I hope that is not me. fingers crossed. I don't know how they score the exam..cause I guessed a lot.

600? honestly I don't think it matters cause people just want to pass. I would love to just have 500. I know someone who got 498 and didn't pass and I hope that is not me. fingers crossed. I don't know how they score the exam..cause I guessed a lot.
was just curious they say max you can get is 800, min is 200 passing score is 500. i dont understant how u can get a 200 minimum score.

I don't remember what my score was but I do remember I studied really hard, especially in the last month and still thought it was hard and that I had a 50/50 chance of passing when I left.

You guys are freaking me out!! I sit Friday and have been studying for months! I feel confident after lectures but then get questions in the mock exam and am like "what the???". Anyone have a good approach to nail down the regulatory stuff?? I've got a handle on IRB, various acts, etc but economics junk is quite daunting. How did everyone feel about stats as far as questions go? I've listened to those lectures four times already!! Best of luck to those who took it...lord knows I WILL need it as well!

You guys are freaking me out!! I sit Friday and have been studying for months! I feel confident after lectures but then get questions in the mock exam and am like "what the???". Anyone have a good approach to nail down the regulatory stuff?? I've got a handle on IRB, various acts, etc but economics junk is quite daunting. How did everyone feel about stats as far as questions go? I've listened to those lectures four times already!! Best of luck to those who took it...lord knows I WILL need it as well!

Stats was probably the most straightforward part of the test. If you know your study design and are solid on practice questions, you shouldn't have a problem. On the other hand, the rest was a crapshoot. There are usually 1-2 obvious wrong answer choices, and then you're left to choose between 2 options. I had to cram all my studying into a couple weeks and studied stats > calculations > major guidelines > random stuff. I don't know if I would try getting into the guts of regulatory stuff at this point; I felt like most of those questions were educated guess questions.