Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Passion for Pharmacy?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Rebecatfl, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Rebecatfl

Rebecatfl Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey Guys,

Well, I have interviewed at 3 schools, thus far, and am waiting to hear back from them. Plan B, in case I don't get in this fall, is to attend a summer program at University of Colorado to boost your chances of getting in there in fall of '08. I'm a little impatient of waiting this whole thing out, and am truly questioning my passion for pharmacy. Ultimately, it's kind of a practical decision, as I have a 7 year old and medical school would have taken me too long to finally be independent with her. Can anyone who does see a passion for pharmacy tell how, what, and why that is the case? Need some inspiration here. :)

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. themorphinerule

Pharmacist

Wow, you really have to do it for yourself. For me, I love helping people, and I love talking to people about healthy choices, and I love the satisfaction of solving their health issues. I've known that my impact would be in Pharmacy. I seriously looked into Optometry, PA, Medicine, Computers, Law... nothing appealed to me like learning about drugs and teaching people about them. I see the pay as an added bonus of doing a good job and keeping people healthy. But I see so many disgruntled pharmacists who got stuck in Pharmacy because they got into it for the wrong reason- and it shows. As a tech I've pulled Pharmacists to the side because of their conduct (which they respect because I was their store manager at one point). But if integrating organic chemistry and biology and the human body and welfare doesn't appeal to you, I'd say drop Pharmacy now because you're doing it for the wrong reason.

4. themorphinerule

Pharmacist

Wow, you really have to do it for yourself. For me, I love helping people, and I love talking to people about healthy choices, and I love the satisfaction of solving their health issues. I've known that my impact would be in Pharmacy. I seriously looked into Optometry, PA, Medicine, Computers, Law... nothing appealed to me like learning about drugs and teaching people about them. I see the pay as an added bonus of doing a good job and keeping people healthy. But I see so many disgruntled pharmacists who got stuck in Pharmacy because they got into it for the wrong reason- and it shows. As a tech I've pulled Pharmacists to the side because of their conduct (which they respect because I was their store manager at one point). But if integrating organic chemistry and biology and the human body and welfare doesn't appeal to you, I'd say drop Pharmacy now because you're doing it for the wrong reason.

5. piyi

Pharmacy Student
    Agree with above poster. You have to find out for yourself whether or not you like pharmacy. I've also seen so many pharmacists unhappy with their job, probably because they never had any experience prior to going into pharmacy school. Or if they did have experience they thought: but it will be so much much better when I am a pharmacist!! (big mistake).

6. Idesiretosling

Pharmacy Student
    I agree with the above poster. Loving the science and learning how to make those good moments help you forget the bad ones when dealing with customers. Sometimes I hate dealing with the bottom of the barrel folks though, it just gets old.........
    Few days ago a very fat sloppy woman comes into the pharmacy right after I watch her stomp her ciggy poo out on the ground instead of the ciggarette tray right next to her outside the store. She waddles in with 4 little screaming brats that proceed to run around knocking stuff down and running into other customers.... She is there for a pickup she proclaims, a sweet aroma of B.O. and cig smoke pouring out her, I retrieve her RXs hand them to her and smile because that aweful smell would soon be gone. To make me feel even better I watch this woman step into an Escalade outside, and what was her copay?? tell me people, yes it was a big fat 0 because me and you just paid for it! While this blob sucks down cigs and burgers in her escalade, her kids polute society because she can't break away from a Big Mac long enough to discipline them, you and I are paying for her medication. Idiocracy is slowing becoming reality all around us, I see it more and more.

I still love pharmacy, I am only a student/tech but the good custies make up for the custies that make you throwup in your mouth and weep for society.

7. Idesiretosling

Pharmacy Student
    love/hate is always the best relationship

8. rxpharmtech

you will be financially stable and at the same time be able to spend a good amount of time with your daughter if you work in home health setting, nuclear pharmacy etc etc... you can find a 9-5 job. HOWEVER...if you don't have the passion, you will likely get burnt out. dig deep within yourself and make the decision. only you know.... good luck =)

9. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

I'm very passionate about my career, but I'd have to go over 30 years worth of living to tell you about it.

You can read some of my posts or pm me - it would be tedious for others here to restate it.

But - bottom line - I'd never do anything differently if I had it to do over...

10. lvp0021

Pharmacy Student
    I love the study of drugs and their mechanism. I love it so much to see how dosing strategies can be used to help patients and how understand what these chemicals do to your body can be so vital in clinical treatment. Also like other, I really like to educate people about what they put into their bodies and how to do so wisely and efficiently. Med school, for me, is too long and medicine practice is quite risky as there are a bunch of insurance stuffs to take care of and all these legal issues involved in it.