Passion for PM&R! (Not another research interest question?!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

priu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I've posted before on the PM&R forum... during my medical school application process... and am now on MSII... OK not that it matters all that much... but...

I am looking for research and/or clinical opportunities in PM&R... most likely in the Chicago area. I am considering taking a year off in between second and third year to pursue experience in the field! (as well as being much closer with my SO!)... plus I want to avoid any potential burnout!

She is applying to psych grad programs in Seattle and Chicago (she's a top student... so chances are slim that she will not get accepted!)... so I have emailed contacts in two residencies... and am composing an email to a physician listed in the AAPM&R mentorship program.

Would there be any other tracks I should be aware of? Any suggestions on how else I should go about trying to find research?

Also, if you are in the Chicago area... and are looking for a passionate and personable medical student eager to contribute (research, experience, etc)... I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Members don't see this ad.

Good afternoon,

I've posted before on the PM&R forum... during my medical school application process... and am now on MSII... OK not that it matters all that much... but...

I am looking for research and/or clinical opportunities in PM&R... most likely in the Chicago area. I am considering taking a year off in between second and third year to pursue experience in the field! (as well as being much closer with my SO!)... plus I want to avoid any potential burnout!

She is applying to psych grad programs in Seattle and Chicago (she's a top student... so chances are slim that she will not get accepted!)... so I have emailed contacts in two residencies... and am composing an email to a physician listed in the AAPM&R mentorship program.

Would there be any other tracks I should be aware of? Any suggestions on how else I should go about trying to find research?

Also, if you are in the Chicago area... and are looking for a passionate and personable medical student eager to contribute (research, experience, etc)... I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!

RIC has a wonderful summer program for medical students. Maybe some of the RIC can give you details...

Priu-

I second that the RIC summer program was a wonderful experience. It doesn't take care of the rest of the academic year for you, but I was hard-pressed to find another funded research/clinical experience for the summer. If you hop onto a longer research study during the program, they could decide to keep you on for the rest of the time you are there (I think another one of the student's that goes to school in the area is doing this...) PM me if you have any specific questions about it. Good luck!

Edit: Good catch by axm! Lots of cutting edge Rehab research though, it would be worth a look. Check with the other PM&R programs as well, I heard they are quite good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good afternoon,

Since you are already a MS2 - you will not be eligible for the RIC externship. However, there's LOTS of research going on at RIC. The problem may be finding funding to get you paid. PLUS - if you take time off from med school, you will not have health insurance unless you get it through your SO. Definitely talk to your school's financial aid people.

pm me with specific areas of research you are interested in and I can direct you to the right people. RIC just had a "research open house" so I got to see some of the ongoing projects and there are some exciting things going on - a lot of engineering type stuff but also clinical research as well.

RIC has a wonderful summer program for medical students. Maybe some of the RIC can give you details...
I'll 2nd that...I did the externship two summers ago....awesome experience and probably the most well-rounded exposure to the field you could ask for in the summer b/w m1-2

edit...missed the part about being an MS2 already.....