Passport photos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JcRoughriders

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the schools that require a 2x2 passport photos for their supplementary apps, dont go spending $10 for two photos.
Take a picture of yourself in a white background, upload it to http://www.epassportphoto.com/ , crop it , and download a 6x4 sized jpeg with five 2x2 photos on it. Then go to CVS and print a 6x4 print for only $ 0.19 .

I just think it's ridiculous that stores charge so much more for photos 1/6 the size of a regular print, just because they're "passport photos".
 
You can also just take a photo of yourself with a white background. Go to shopko photo print kiosk. And make passport photos from it. I think it was less than a buck for 4 or 6 2x2 photos.
 
For the schools that require a 2x2 passport photos for their supplementary apps, dont go spending $10 for two photos.
Take a picture of yourself in a white background, upload it to http://www.epassportphoto.com/ , crop it , and download a 6x4 sized jpeg with five 2x2 photos on it. Then go to CVS and print a 6x4 print for only $ 0.19 .

I just think it's ridiculous that stores charge so much more for photos 1/6 the size of a regular print, just because they're "passport photos".

Yep I did something very similar last year.

I went to CVS, and when I found out its $9 for 2 pics, I was like "forget it"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here. That is an awesome site btw, thanks. But I spent like 2 hours figuring out how to crop and put it on a 6x4 with a free photo editor and also used paint. Turned out alright. Print quality from CVS was pretty terrible, it made it look like I was wearing lipstick.

Also since I am doing a grad program, I don't have my SLR or tripod with me, so I used my iPhone 4 and taped it to my IKEA floor lamp with packaging tape I had and took it that way. It turned out pretty well.
 
I took my photo and it shows shadow on the background from ear to shoulder. Would I be ok with the picture with shadow?
 
One of the admissions coordinators said that white backgrounds make applicants seem really boring:scared:, and as long as it's a professional looking photo, his school appreciates a subtle scenic background. Just something to consider when jumping on the white background wagon.
 
One of the admissions coordinators said that white backgrounds make applicants seem really boring:scared:, and as long as it's a professional looking photo, his school appreciates a subtle scenic background. Just something to consider when jumping on the white background wagon.

Mine was traditional boring; however, at my interviews, I did see applicant files with them having a beach sunset/flower in their ear/pretty looking/model looking/facebook-ish photos. They were pretty girls so umm...use your best judgement:laugh:
 
Good idea! This way we can photoshop ourselves! Get rid of any zits, whiten the teeth a little...oh yea!!😀😀
 
For the schools that require a 2x2 passport photos for their supplementary apps, dont go spending $10 for two photos.
Take a picture of yourself in a white background, upload it to http://www.epassportphoto.com/ , crop it , and download a 6x4 sized jpeg with five 2x2 photos on it. Then go to CVS and print a 6x4 print for only $ 0.19 .

I just think it's ridiculous that stores charge so much more for photos 1/6 the size of a regular print, just because they're "passport photos".

Once you upload it, I dont see where I can download the image? It just takes me to the order form after I resize :/
 
Is it okay if my part of my head is cut off (1/4 of my hair)? I'm not at all photogenic and thats the only picture I could take that looks half decent :laugh:
 
I used a graduation photo right off of Facebook. I just cropped some friends out. Printed it off at CVS, good to go.
 
yeah it doesn't have to be so professionally done. as long as the dimensions are nice, a white background will do. I printed mine out only for a few cents at CVS. CostCO or Walmart can do that for you too. save the pic on an USB drive and they can print it for you. except for I wish I didn't look so much like a felon lol.
 
Is a white background a must? I have a nice one of me dressed up, but the background is brick.
 
It's fine. Brick is okay. As long as you don't have something too distracting like
655687.jpg

lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! I will definitely take a look at using that for passport pictures. I wish there were specific guidelines for the 2x2 pictures they are looking for. For me, passport pictures means no smiling, which would probably be a bad idea in this case