past applicants: what would you have done differently?

Started by kaizen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kaizen

The Last Airbender
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I guess my question is pretty straight forward. Looking back on your application/interviewing experience, would you have done anything differently?

Applied to more/fewer programs?
Asked particular questions?
Wore a different suit/shoes?
Scheduled interviews differently?
Applied to transitional/Pre-lim Med?
Ranked the "name" programs higher/lower?
Different locations?
Anything?

Just trying to make this process as smooth as possible and I would appreciate any suggestions - especially questions you wish you had asked.
 
I would have....

Applied to more programs

Applied to transitionals as well as prelim med

Applied to more regions

Re; questions, I think I asked all I wanted to know (do your homework!)
Call: Inhouse or home
EMG: #s, training with PMR, NEU, board certified attendings
Pain: clinic in addition to fluro time, scheduled v. elective, recents grads going to fellowships
Inpatient: # of patients per resident, weekend admits, x-coverage
Lifestyle: Do the residents like the area, program, attendings
Board: % pass?