PAT angle ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john216

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been practicing angle ranking, and it does not get better.

Rapid eye technique does not work me..

Can you guys suggest any other methods?

Members don't see this ad.

:( I'm having the same trouble...

I use a variety of techniques though:

- Angles close to 90 degrees: try to figure out whether the angle is above or below 90 and choose from there.

-Very acute angles: find the smallest angle (which is usually the most obvious) and the largest angle or cancel out answer choices based on the smallest angle then compare the larger angles

- Between acute and 90: Cone stacking technique (basically the pacman technique) I try to figure out which is the largest angle and if it will stack like a cone on top of the other angles, and start cancelling out other options based on that

- Obtuse angles: use reference lines that match up (ie parallel bases) and compare the other leg of the angle to try and figure out which one is largest and smallest

There in my opinion is no sure-fire way, but you just keep practicing and eventually I guess it comes to you.

Bootcamp has an Angle Ranking Generator that's very useful:
http://datbootcamp.com/classroom/perceptual-ability/angle-ranking-generator/

Chad's website has a couple hundred angles to go through as well:
*can't post the link, but it's under the PAT section of his quizzes*

When you get bored of those, the Eyeballing game is also fun to do :)
http://woodgears.ca/eyeball/

Goodluck! Hope this was helpful and I will be here trudging along trying to figure out those friggin angles like you :p

I've been practicing angle ranking, and it does not get better.

Rapid eye technique does not work me..

Can you guys suggest any other methods?

I've been practicing for more than a month now.. but no technique really seems to help me more than just going through a TON of angle problems.

I honestly feel like at this point it's better to try and maximize other sections of the PAT.. or actually the rest of the DAT in general.

PAT is definitely not as important as TS, and getting one more question right on each TS section could make an average score into an above average one.

Don't think too hard about them. Look at the answer choices, compare the largest and smallest angles and eliminate.

I find my scores are usually better for this section if I go faster and just use my gut instinct rather than actually trying to compare.

I thought the PAT section, which I didn't study for much, was tricky, but the angle ranking section wasn't bad at all.

For angles, I just imagined drawing a the little angle mark at the vertex of each angle. A lot of times either the smallest or the largest one was rather obvious, so I would start at one of those and compare 1-2 angle at a time.

Last edited: