PAT difficulty- representative source

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeginvee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For those of you who have taken the DAT in 2014:

I have noticed that the DAT bootcamp PAT is WAY more difficult than anything I've ever seen (But I've never taken the actual DAT and I plan to take it in 2014). I have never seen anything like their hole punching and pattern section, for example. I was studying for the DAT back in 2012, and then, Crack the PAT was the "best" source for the PAT. I don't think Bootcamp was around then, but I'm not sure. So does that mean the PAT section has gotten more difficult on the test? Is the DAT as difficult as Bootcamp's PAT sections? Also, please comment on the hole punching and pattern folding section.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I didn't do as well as I would've liked, I felt like CDP was very similar to the DAT in regards to difficulty. Bootcamp is good as the material is more difficult than the actual test. On my test the hole punching was not very difficult maybe one or two half holes and nothing too strange. For pattern folding it was like half shaded and half simple folds that you can just eliminate choices based on the size and shape of the sides presented.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi , Im just starting to study for DAT and I'm really worried about the PAT section, Ive heard CDP is really good but should i get the tutorial or just the questions ? Do you know how good that 3 hour tutorial is?

Hi , Im just starting to study for DAT and I'm really worried about the PAT section, Ive heard CDP is really good but should i get the tutorial or just the questions ? Do you know how good that 3 hour tutorial is?
I heard the tutorial is pretty bad. The bootcamp tutorials are free on youtube and for the hole punch video they have a link to another video. Watch all of these very helpful then practice practice practice

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend the tutorial I've also heard bad things about it, like BrotherAli said watch the free videos online from bootcamp or other posters to get the basics down then use CDP or bootcamp to practice. CDP you can purchase different amounts of tests while bootcamp has 10 inclusive with the subscription purchase. CDP in my opinion is closer to the difficulty of the real test while bootcamp is much harder but gives more complete and 3d explanations for each question.

I didn't do amazing, I only got a 19, but from the test I took CDP was the most beneficial because their difficulty mirrored the DAT. I had used bootcamp for a little but I never finished a whole test because it was way too difficult and it lowered my confidence lol. I think if you can score high on CDP you'll be good.

The bulk of my PAT prep was earlier in my studying and I neglected it during the final week of my test by barely practicing. That could be a reason why my score was lowish.

For Bio I used Feralis notes and bootcamp and dat destroyer. GC and OC I used chads, bootcamp and destroyer as well. QR I used math destroyer. and RC i did the bootcamp practice tests.

Should I buy the Organic chem Odyssey by Jim Romano/Orgoman or just buy the "DAT Destroyer" book? Is it necessary to do his DAT bootcamp course which covers Bio or just buy the book? I am wondering because otherwise I will be studying content and reactions from 3 sources (Chad, Kaplan, Odyssey) where there is a lot of overlap. Who do you think has the most thorough coverage of reactions and other concepts?

You don't need to go to any course because you can teach yourself the material for the DAT on your own, its not that bad. But the materials you purchase would probably depend how confident you are with the material. For example if you feel like you're good at OC then you wouldn't need to purchase the Odyssey, just the DAT destroyer will suffice. I was pretty good at Orgo to begin with so I only used what i stated above. Chads videos, outlines and quizzes cover a majority of what you'll see on the exam for the chemistries. Bio is very random but Feralis notes covers almost everything and Dat destroyer is there to fill in the gaps for stuff not included.