PAT is killing me :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitefram

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the first DAT that I took last May, I realized the weakest part of DAT to me is PAT.

That's why I bought Crack DAT PAT to practice more before my next DAT which is scheduled on November.

But, is it serious?!?! Is it possible to tell a difference between 52degrees and 55 degrees?! :mad:
OMG.. I truly suck at Angles and Hole Punch.
I mean, I am not good at them at all. I just don't see the differences between angles (except that of the smallest and largest ones)
and I cannot unfold the paper in my head when it is folded over and over (and over and over and..)

Is it possible to get a sense of these two parts of PAT if I practice more? Please share your experience!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some easy angle ranking questions and then some hard ones. Personally I spent less time on the angles and just chose the first answer that came to my mind by quickly analyzing them. For hole punching, I suggest Crack DAT PAT... this program helped me with my PAT weaknesses...

Good Luck!

With the PAT, i took one practice test on topscore and made an 18 (that was all the studying i did for it). I got everyone of the hole punch right. on the real DAT i made a 21 on PAT. the best thing that i do is process of elimination. for most of the really hard foldings, use your logic. take the very FIRST fold and compare the symetry around it, you can usually eliminate at least 2 answer choices from that. on some of the harder ones, i didn't even have to look past the first fold because i could eliminate all but one just from that. it worked for me. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you've already done it, but the Barron's DAT book has some descent strategies for the PAT including angle ranking. I would recommend checking it out at your library first. Practice with the PAT is key because I believe you can improve your school - hopefully getting some strategies would assist as well.

Good luck!

PAT is my greatest strength by far, mostly because I'm an art studio major. the secret to angle ranking is one thing: speed. the fact is, the longer you look at those angles the more likely you are to get them wrong, your brain literally changes what you see to fit what you want to see, so you have to trust your first instincts. Usually you can just compare two of them to get the right answer depending on the choices you're given too.

My advice is to get ahold of as many angle ranking practice tests as you can and do them over and over again as fast as possible. If they're too close to call you're better off moving on anyway cause top-front-end and pattern folding usually require a good 15 minutes, meaning that if you can do angle ranking in 3 minutes (which is as long as you should ever let yourself spend on it) you're gonna do alot better on those other sections.

anyway, I hope that helps. and yes the human brain can tell the difference of only a few degrees, as long as you trust your instincts. Since I started forcing myself to blaze through that section I've never missed more than two, and missing more than one is very rare.

good luck,
Will