PAT...Kaplan vs Crack DAT vs Real DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flin5845

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After using kaplan and CDP, I was curious to see which one is a better representation of the real DAT. Here is how I feel about CDP and Kaplan, and have not taken the real DAT, but wanted to get a feel for what to expect.

Key Hole: CDP is very clear as far as the images go, Kaplan is very ambiguous the images seem distorted.

TFE: CDP seem harder, there are a lot of circular lines, and more complex structures compared to Kaplan.

Angles: Kaplan is a joke, CDP is pretty tough...I have never been good at angles.

Hole Punch: Kaplans are pretty basic, CDP are pretty tough they have a lot of half hole punches and more folds to the pattern.

Cube: Pretty easy section, CDP has some tricky ones, and there are a ton of cubes to count. Kaplan, not awful...smaller structures

Pattern Folding: CDP loves the shades, dice, lines which make it very tough....Kaplan there are less shades, which makes it easier.

For those who have taken the DAT, which material do you think was the best representation?

Members don't see this ad.

After doing CDP... Kaplans Angle,Key-hole and TFE are a joke...

Patter folding is easier without shades for Kaplan...even with shades u get 2-3 tricky ones but the rest are pretty simple u can figure out.

CDP is the Stuff...Go by that and ull do good

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for KBB, but their online material was every bit as helpful as CDP for me personally.

I used Crack PAT and Kaplan last summer. I found Crack and Kaplan to be just as you described, so I mainly practiced the Crack PAT sections over and over and only did Kaplan once in a while if I needed some encouragement. I got a 22 on the real PAT, and found it to be much more similar to Crack (EVEN the impossible angle rankings, Kaplan's are too easy).