PAT question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundercatz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

How long did it you guys to "get it" on the PAT?

I just started looking at it today and my test is July 3rd. I am not sure if that is enough time to really grasp everything. Should I be worried.

My first test on Crack the PAT is:

Keyhole - 13
TFE - 5
Angles - 10
Hole Punch - 7
Cube counting - 4
Pattern folding - 10

My total score was a 16! Yikes :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I just started looking at it today and my test is July 3rd. I am not sure if that is enough time to really grasp everything. Should I be worried.

Keyhole - 13
TFE - 5
Angles - 10
Hole Punch - 7
Cube counting - 4
Pattern folding - 10

this may sound weird, but a 16 on crack pat is not half bad. if you can get that number up a point or two you'll be golden.

besides the crack pat cubecounting is like optical illusions or something so don't sweat it too much. just keep taking to practice tests so you'll start to "see it" better...exp for those TFE

my crack dat pat tests are going like this so far:
test 1: 20
test 2: 22
test 3: 23
test 4: 25

so if i keep going at this rate I should, by the time I do my 10th test, score a...34!!!.........:rolleyes:yeah

but yeah, it's a steep learning curve... just keep going and you'll start to get the hang of all the sections. angle ranking is what kills me though...

oh, and, I got rocked on the TFE section my first time too, but once you do more of them (and make sure you go back and check every single one, even the ones you got right, and make sure you understand what every line means) it sorta clicks and they're actually pretty easy, just don't worry about it and keep going!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea keep practicing. It took me awhile to get used to TFE and pattern folding.

I used to get really pissed off because I was scoring low but you just gotta get used to imagining 2D things in 3D perspective.

Keep trying! PAT takes more than a couple of weeks to get used to.

Hi Everyone,

Keyhole - 13
TFE - 5
Angles - 10
Hole Punch - 7
Cube counting - 4
Pattern folding - 10

Just keep going at it. You can do it!

My first PAT diagnositc ever was a 13 or 14, can't remember exactly.

It didn't take me that long to just "get it" though. Study hard!

i still don't "get it" for the pattern folding section and i'm taking it tomorrow haha. Hopefully the other sections make up for it =(

i still don't "get it" for the pattern folding section and i'm taking it tomorrow haha. Hopefully the other sections make up for it =(
Why? That's probably one of the easiest to practice. Get some square pieces of paper and a hole punch and start folding every which way you can think of.

Why? That's probably one of the easiest to practice. Get some square pieces of paper and a hole punch and start folding every which way you can think of.

I think when he says pattern folding he means... pattern folding haha :D

He's referring to the last section where they give you an unfolded shape and you need to fold it into the page

And yeah some of these can be a nightmare, but keep going at it and they will click

You just need to make sure you know a good strategy when going in. I almost ran out of time in this section.

Make your tally chart in the cube section.

Eliminate answer choices in the angle section. There are times when you just can't tell which one out of two is bigger. I would just guess and go, you can stare at an angle all day, you either get it in an instant or you don't. Other problems actually take thinking time, so you should give them that time.

Box folding, don't waste time making the object. Eliminate the two obvious choices, then decide between the remainders. I felt that looking for what was wrong was more effective than assembling and guessing.

I think when he says pattern folding he means... pattern folding haha :D

He's referring to the last section where they give you an unfolded shape and you need to fold it into the page

And yeah some of these can be a nightmare, but keep going at it and they will click
Yeah, not paying attention. That's a hard one to practice.

I'm gonna go scan a couple TFE questions from somewhere and make a new thread with like a tutorial because lots of people seem to hate this section... expect it within the next couple hours:)