PAT Starting Point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey fellas. So I have about 2.5 weeks to prepare for the PAT and QR section (is this enough time)?

What would be some good ways to really get a solid PAT score (18-20)? I have watched the bootcamp tutorials but they aren't really helpful. I have a hard time doing the lines of symmetry method because it isn't explained well at all, and I don't understand the half holes in the generator.

Keyholes I am ok-ish at them but still need a lot of work

TFE haven't even started practicing

Angles are meh, cube Cointing won't be an issue for me

Basically I am just asking what are the best resources to learn how to attack this section

Members don't see this ad.

Bootcamp. It's all you need. Get a good handle on the generators and then start doing practice tests. The generators are easier for TFE but harder for angle ranking (only because the test has very obvious degree differences) and pattern folding. Keyholes are harder on BC but only by a little. Make sure to read the explanations on why you got questions wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure to read the explanations on why you got questions wrong

No matter what you end up doing, this is probably the most important part. Be sure you thoroughly read the explanations, and in the beginning I recommend reading every explanation even if you get it right. This is how you improve your score.

No matter what you end up doing, this is probably the most important part. Be sure you thoroughly read the explanations, and in the beginning I recommend reading every explanation even if you get it right. This is how you improve your score.
Thanks Ari. So basically bruteforce my way through the generators but understand my mistakes?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The PAT is kind of hard to study for, from my understanding, because the PAT doesn't actually test knowledge but instead it tests conceptual power. I suggest trying to find some tricks for the test. I remember from my test that they gave me a pink paper to write on if I wanted and I later asked if it was bad to use the paper during the PAT test and was informed I can do whatever I want with the paper. I can't confirm if that is true but they didn't stop me from using the paper to hold up in front of my eyes to help during the angle portion of the test.

BUT that being said I didn't study once for the PAT and that was my highest score (25) so I don't have really many other tips to add but good luck!!!

Thanks Ari. So basically bruteforce my way through the generators but understand my mistakes?
Bruteforce is an intense term, but basically yes. Work with them for 15 minute intervals at least once a day, and really try to take your time to get the right answer. If you get it wrong no worries, figure out your mistake and learn how to fix it going forward. As you see, practice makes perfect.

As far as the half holes, just draw them on your grid as a full hole. It is impossible to unfold the paper all the way and still have partial holes, so you know every half (or quarter) hole will end up full.

The LOS video and Ari's video on hole punching were all I needed to quickly make it my easiest section. For angles, I think you should practice but don't spend too much time on it because I don't think you really improve spending excessive there.

Keyholes, TFE, and pattern folding are all worth practicing, and make sure you time yourself. You will get better and faster at all of these with the generators.

Make sure to understand how to do cube counting and hole punch really well, you want to ace these two sections for that 20 PAT. For the other three sections, just practice with the BC generators until you can get at least 12/15. Definitely spend a portion of your time each day practicing all sections of PAT so you can increase your speed. Don't get discouraged if you're not doing well with BC generators, I know that some sections are more difficult than ones on the actual test.

Make sure to understand how to do cube counting and hole punch really well, you want to ace these two sections for that 20 PAT. For the other three sections, just practice with the BC generators until you can get at least 12/15. Definitely spend a portion of your time each day practicing all sections of PAT so you can increase your speed. Don't get discouraged if you're not doing well with BC generators, I know that some sections are more difficult than ones on the actual test.
For sure... Cube counting and hole punching are miles easier than they were last week and I am just now beginning to work on pattern folding... 15 days to go!