PAT struggles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDentistsRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am struggling real bad with the PAT section of the DAT. Today marks day 9 (out of 40) for my study schedule and I'm panicking and stressing because I can't figure this stuff out. I am having issues with the following three sections:

1. Angle ranking: I always get these wrong. I know these should be done the quickest too on the real exam but they are darn difficult.

2. Pattern folding: Have no idea what I'm doing. I know the instructions for the section, but I get 1/10 problems correct on bootcamp and it's really stressing me out. I sit there for 10 min a problem actually trying to fold the darn image in my head.

3. TFE: I don't even know where to begin here. Can never get a problem right.

Strategies for any of these sections are greatly appreciated. I read some older tutorial posts by other sdn members, but they are from 2008 and what not. They weren't as helpful as I expected them to be.

please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend Bootcamp if you are not already using it. I have found it to help a lot. If you are DATing on a budget, which I understand, then try finding phone apps. Angle ranking for me was about finding a thought process that worked. I like to think of the angles as laptops. In my mind I try and think about which one would be able to close. Some people think of them as ski slopes and others I know look right at the bend and try and determine from there. You just need to keep trying and figure out what works for you.... Also remember that much of PAT is repetition and practice. The more you do the better you will become.

Pattern folding is hard but much like hole punch I actually use paper and try and do it by hand. It has helped me some and I am getting better.

TFE for me is about rotating the object in my head. i try to think about it like an organic molecule and spin it to try and understand what it should look like from all angles.

In the end keep trying and realize that you are just starting and it should get better as you go.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't get discourage. Just keep on practicing and you'll get better at it. Trust the process bro:highfive: