PAT suggestions? I need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROCOCO8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT is so difficult for me. I've been practicing for days and it seems like I've either hit a plateau or in some cases gotten worse. When you guys studied did you study PAT continuously? Or come back to it after a couple days in between? I've been on a CDP marathon since sunday and unlike the sciences I have yet to see any significant improvements... I'm trying to visualize but I'm doing some serious mental gymnastics especially for the hole punching section. How do I get better?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely think it helps to take the test and come back to it in a day or two. I always seem to see things differently the day after. Trying taking a few days break before reviewing it and taking the next test.

Try different techniques too for the sections that you're struggling with

Are you utilizing any strategies during the PAT?

For hole punches, you could try the tick-tac-toe board where you draw circles where you believe them to be.

For angle ranking, you can visualize riding a bike down the side, or view it like a lap top, or add a line mentally to look at the negative.

For front top end, you can count "events" or simply try and visualize what it will be like.

CDP is nearly equivalent to what the test is like.

Utilize the explanations after you take a test. Go through and review your mistakes in order to understand what you did wrong. Otherwise you will not improve.

PAT is so difficult for me. I've been practicing for days and it seems like I've either hit a plateau or in some cases gotten worse. When you guys studied did you study PAT continuously? Or come back to it after a couple days in between? I've been on a CDP marathon since sunday and unlike the sciences I have yet to see any significant improvements... I'm trying to visualize but I'm doing some serious mental gymnastics especially for the hole punching section. How do I get better?

I feel the same way, I've been practicing non stop but I don't see an improvement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you utilizing any strategies during the PAT?

For hole punches, you could try the tick-tac-toe board where you draw circles where you believe them to be.

For angle ranking, you can visualize riding a bike down the side, or view it like a lap top, or add a line mentally to look at the negative.

For front top end, you can count "events" or simply try and visualize what it will be like.

CDP is nearly equivalent to what the test is like.

Utilize the explanations after you take a test. Go through and review your mistakes in order to understand what you did wrong. Otherwise you will not improve.

Could you elaborate on the Angle tip "adding a line mentally to look at the negative?"

oh happy day... i'm finally getting it.

i thought about getting ross's videos... except i feel like i've already read about all the techniques after sifting through random threads on sdn... perhaps i'll get it for his practice tests though...

and i'm wondering about looking at the "negative" as well... are you talking about comparing the supplementary angles?

i thought about getting ross's videos... except i feel like i've already read about all the techniques after sifting through random threads on sdn... perhaps i'll get it for his practice tests though...

and i'm wondering about looking at the "negative" as well... are you talking about comparing the supplementary angles?

Ross's videos are VERY helpful imo. When I started my worst section was angle ranking. I read about techniques too, and tried to apply them..but it's completely different when you actually see Ross go through his techniques. His rapid glance technique works like a charm! And going straight to comparing biggest/smallest angles in the answer choices increases your overall speed in the section too. And I found out that in order to make it easier to use the rapid glance technique, for the angles that have one line sticking out or when comparing a "mini angle" as I like to call them compared to a "normal sized" angle, you can cover up the edges and only expose a small portion of the angles. Basically this gets rid of the confusion caused by relative sizes of the angle images, or the lines that stick out.

Normally this added step does not need to be used, but for angles that are very close (differ by about 5 degrees), I find that actually covering them up on my screen helps a lot.

Ross's videos are VERY helpful imo. When I started my worst section was angle ranking. I read about techniques too, and tried to apply them..but it's completely different when you actually see Ross go through his techniques. His rapid glance technique works like a charm! And going straight to comparing biggest/smallest angles in the answer choices increases your overall speed in the section too. And I found out that in order to make it easier to use the rapid glance technique, for the angles that have one line sticking out or when comparing a "mini angle" as I like to call them compared to a "normal sized" angle, you can cover up the edges and only expose a small portion of the angles. Basically this gets rid of the confusion caused by relative sizes of the angle images, or the lines that stick out.

Normally this added step does not need to be used, but for angles that are very close (differ by about 5 degrees), I find that actually covering them up on my screen helps a lot.

So, you mean physically covering them with your finger? Is this allowed during the test?

If the other strategies do not work, for a last resort I attempt to mentally super-impose another line which I call the "negative". This would go from the actual angle and provide the 90 degree line. Thus potentially giving an interpretation of which one is smaller or larger. Its not the best strat, but if all else fails, it has worked on occasion.

Hope the description works..

Are Ross's videos long? If not, I will get them and finish in half-day cuz my time is very stringent now. Thanks

So, you mean physically covering them with your finger? Is this allowed during the test?

Yup that's correct! It supplements the rapid glance technique quite nicely if the extended lines or sizes throw you off! And my friends who took the DAT already did cover the angles on the screen. Honestly I have read nothing that suggests that touching the screen is against the rules.

People do it but it's illegal; it's reason enough to get your test voided so I wouldn't suggest it.

I called the test center twice and asked them if I can touch the computer screen. I think it might be different due to where you take it...but to be on the safe side I would say practice without using your finger lol

I called the test center twice and asked them if I can touch the computer screen. I think it might be different due to where you take it...but to be on the safe side I would say practice without using your finger lol

I've practiced both ways. Honestly I'm not going to risk it. The thought of my scores being audited then voided would cause me to panic and mentally break down during the test. I'd rather avoid a messy situation.