PAT timing help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panmit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my third PAT test on CDP untimed and am getting only one or two wrong on each section, but I take literally forever to complete the problems.

I know people say it takes practice, but I have been reading people take only 5-10 min on cube counting and hole punching. Right now, each of the six sections takes 15-20 minutes except for angle ranking.

Do you guys have any advice. I am unfolding the entire paper for hole punching using the grid method, but it takes almost 20 minutes to complete this section. I feel like there is no way to do this section like in 5-10 min without sacrificing accuracy.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually don't even use the grid method. Just use lines of symmetry. 15 questions a day when you wake up and 15 before bed. (Depends on if you have ace edition) I started at 30 minutes for 15 questions (14/15). By the end of 1 week I was down to 7 min and usually 14/15. Compare answers to decide which holes you need to actually identify AFTER you do symmetry. This is usually one or 2 holes and its easy to follow the folding just concentrating on one hole.

To cut down time on cube counting you need to identify which cubes are the exact same. Say you have a tower that is 4 cubes tall, bottom one has 2 cubes on the right and left. Top one is always 5, don't even count it. The middle cubes are always 4, don't count it. Bottom one I always count.
Make an intentional effort to memorize the easy cubes (towers, lone cubes, ground cubes). Its also just practice on here. Same thing, 15 questions when you wake up, 15 before you sleep. Don't sit there for hours, you get nothing done for PAT. Went from 15 minutes to 6 minutes 15/15.