PAT timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChewyDrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approx. how long should each subsection take? I find that Im always running out of time near the end when doing pattern folding and sometimes on hole punch.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on what you're best at. I think most people go through angle ranking quickly because it isn't really one you can reason through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

My strategy for PAT was to do the sections I was good at first and then go through the sections I struggled with (that meant for me doing TFE and keyholes last lol). For example, cubes took me longer but I could get them all right, so I would skip through and do that section first. I struggled with the PAT so this method of tackling the exam really helped me maximize my score. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
It really depends on what you're best at. I think most people go through angle ranking quickly because it isn't really one you can reason through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile

I gotta agree with ^ and @secretlycanadian. Some people may take 60seconds on keyholes while others may take 15seconds. You should focus on your strengths and finishing those sections first in order to spend more time on your weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice your weaknesses every single day. On test day you should know exactly how much time on average you should be spending on each section. It will be different for everyone. I know a lot of people spend less time on angles but I personally hated them and spent a considerable time on them. Whereas I breeze through TFE, cubes, and hole punch

Reactions: 1 user
I would say train yourself to do the easy sections very fast. This includes the hilepunching, cube, and angles section. This will allow you to spend precious time and more time consuming sections! But it will comes down to what sections you are good at.

My strategy for PAT was to do the sections I was good at first and then go through the sections I struggled with (that meant for me doing TFE and keyholes last lol). For example, cubes took me longer but I could get them all right, so I would skip through and do that section first. I struggled with the PAT so this method of tackling the exam really helped me maximize my score. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did this as well and it worked. No point in wasting your precious time on a section you'll only get 7/15 anyway.

Reactions: 1 user