PAT tips and tricks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineed2getin123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to know how much time should i be spend on cube counting, hole punching, and angle ranking? i am fairly okay on it, getting better tho.

I am struggling with TFE, pattern folding, and keyholes. any tricks and tips for these sections? I would also like to how much time i should be spending on these sections as well. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Practice visualizing the PAT problems in your head, and get lots of repetition in. The PAT section was fun for me (compared to the other subjects on the test lol), so it didn't feel like I was studying at all. It was more like a logic puzzle. Try look at it this way too and maybe it won't seem as much of a burden.

As for the amount of time you should dedicate to this section... I feel like its very "low risk high reward," in a sense that you can increase your score dramatically once you get the hang of each type of PAT question. I dedicated maybe 15% of my overall studying to this section and got the score I wanted. I don't know what your schedule looks like, but if you have the time, I'd recommend mastering this subject.

I just took the DAT yesterday. I scored a 20 PAT. So do with my information how you will. I used PATBooster to practice. I was scoring 18-19’s on their practice exams.

Time management wise, there are 6 sections you need to complete in 60 minutes. So I allotted myself 10 minutes per section, however some sections are really quick compared to other (angle ranking, cube counting). I was heavily struggling on TFE on PATBooster but on the real test it was just so easy, there was always one identifiable shape/line giving it away. I think my downfall was keyholes, I got 5-6 rocks.

I did the pat booster exams in the last two weeks of my studying. However I did do generators every other day for about 20-30 minutes. If you need help with anything else let me know.

Hi guys, I want to know how much time should i be spend on cube counting, hole punching, and angle ranking? i am fairly okay on it, getting better tho.

I am struggling with TFE, pattern folding, and keyholes. any tricks and tips for these sections? I would also like to how much time i should be spending on these sections as well. thanks

Have you watched the PATBooster videos yet? They do an amazing job showing you all the tricks you need to know (like it taught me that for dice questions you should only look at the numbers 2,3, and 6). I was able to boost my scores enough to score a 30 on the real thing using only PATBooster.

Patbooster came up with a new pattern folding playlist where the guy gives you all the tricks and tips and how to solve. Patbooster has great videos that should help you and with practice you should be straight.