Patents...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it possible to patent a theoretical medicinal compound? And if so, can you be general, or do you have to specify the exact chemical components of that compound?

Example, a compound containing a member of a known class of medications as well as a theoretical drug that has a particular effect from an entirely new class of drugs?

Links included with any answers would be appreciated, thanks :thumbup:

If this post seems displaced, I couldn't think of any other forum that might be able to help, if you can think of a better place to ask/post, please reply or send me a PM :D

Members don't see this ad.

InfiniteUni said:
Is it possible to patent a theoretical medicinal compound? And if so, can you be general, or do you have to specify the exact chemical components of that compound?
Doubtful... doesn't sound too fair that I could patent a class of compounds that somehow releives all pain with zero side effects without disclosing what is in it or even admitting that it exists (which, of course, it doesn't. It's just a theoretical compound).

A patent attorney would probably know the answer to your question...