Path. and First Aid help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tastebuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how you guys studied for pathology. I know everyone says to listen to Goljan and read Rapid review. I have listened to Goljan and made extensive notes....now I am going through his book as well. There is sooo much detail in the book....it is hard for me to make notes. Did everyone just highlight in the book or actually make notes....because I am finding its very difficult to do the latter.

Also, for those who have taken the exam.....is it advisable to study First Aid extensively? I am going through one organ system each day right now..and then go over First aid again in hopes to catch all the high yield stuff. Of course I am supplementing from other material as well...and doing World questions and Qbank. I dont want to waste my time so I guess I need to know how useful was First Aid to those who have taken the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

FA has only key words for the path, definitely you will need to know little deeper than what FA says. My primary books were BRS Path, Robin's Review of Path, and images from Webpath, and I think I covered pretty well for Step 1

I was wondering how you guys studied for pathology. I know everyone says to listen to Goljan and read Rapid review. I have listened to Goljan and made extensive notes....now I am going through his book as well. There is sooo much detail in the book....it is hard for me to make notes. Did everyone just highlight in the book or actually make notes....because I am finding its very difficult to do the latter.

Also, for those who have taken the exam.....is it advisable to study First Aid extensively? I am going through one organ system each day right now..and then go over First aid again in hopes to catch all the high yield stuff. Of course I am supplementing from other material as well...and doing World questions and Qbank. I dont want to waste my time so I guess I need to know how useful was First Aid to those who have taken the exam?

First Aid is a very good source for consolidating and reviewing many of the high yield topics on the test, but it is NOT comprehensive, especially for physio and path. I read through FA a few times with coursework and then again in the last week or so during my study period. I spent most of my 4 weeks of pure studying using a highly rated review book (per First Aid recommendations) for each subject. Then at the end I went back to FA for more of a quick review. So basically, don't use it as your primary source, but if you have time it will definitely be useful to go through it the week before the test. Since you've already gone beyond FA in your path studying, you're probably in good shape.

FA was particularly useful for pharm (pharm q's on my exam were very straightforward - know mechanism, clinical use, and side effets, as well as the chapter in FA on pharmacodynamics). Good luck on your exam.