Path and Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nasdr

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone use both BRS and RR path as a primary source for step 1? Is this a waste of time; maybe too much overlap? I have both and have been using a mix of chapters from each source.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone use both BRS and RR path as a primary source for step 1? Is this a waste of time; maybe too much overlap? I have both and have been using a mix of chapters from each source.

No, I think for path this isn't terrible, I don't think RR is as thorough as BRS even though RR is a longer read.

It seems kind of redundant. What I do is use one source (RR Path) and then do a question set based on what I have learned. If there are any gaps with what I learned, I'll usually either see if its in RR Path and if its not, I'll use BRS. However, I have rarely come across anything in BRS that isn't somewhere in RR Path. Studying both at the same time seems like it would be more work than you need to do.

But what do I know, I've still got 2 weeks to go before I take the beast...

It seems kind of redundant. What I do is use one source (RR Path) and then do a question set based on what I have learned. If there are any gaps with what I learned, I'll usually either see if its in RR Path and if its not, I'll use BRS. However, I have rarely come across anything in BRS that isn't somewhere in RR Path. Studying both at the same time seems like it would be more work than you need to do.

But what do I know, I've still got 2 weeks to go before I take the beast...

I agree. RR hasn't disappointed me yet. I had originally planned on using both RR and BRS Path for studying but I just didn't have enough time to do both, so I decided to stick with Papi for path. I am sure BRS has more random facts than RR so it kind of depends on how much time you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't take the boards until mid June, but while going through class material I've been attempting to skim BRS and RR Path's corresponding chapters and adding any highlighted material from BRS into RR (if it's not there, or I just star the "keyed" things from BRS). Then, later on for specific boards studying I hope to just use RR Path.

[Although this often does take quite a bit of time, so I don't know if I'll do this for all the previously covered chapters that we did at the start of this year.]

This was my original plan, but after reading a chapter in RR and then in BRS I was shocked at the lack of explanation/details/mechanisms/about half of the diseases in BRS. I feel that it is a huge waste of time to do both and you would be better off to know one or the other better. I read RR 2.5 times and had no problems with the path on step one. RR really isn't a longer read than BRS- BRS has about 400+ pages and is very dense, no real pictures, no margins, etc.. RR is 700 pages, but the last 100 are questions, there are huge margins and tons of full color pics that take up half-full pages. It is worth the extra day (maybe) to read RR, as you do see pictures on the real thing and they are not in black and white.

thanks for all the advice. i think i'll stick with RR if i'm running short on time, mainly b/c of the bonus pictures.

I read either from this forum or amazon review that RR is somewhat unorganized and hard to read due to lack of flow. Is this true? or is this only the case for the newest edition that came out at the end of last year?

Also, is the Goljan audio that's freely downloaded corresponds to the RR book well? I remeber hearing that studying for the path works best if you combine the audio with the RR path book...:confused:

RR is a good source for path. Robbins has a question book with around 800 questions that are really good. I use those for review of both pathology and pathophysiology. BRS is a good summary. I find that you really need to do a lot of questions to actively test yourself.

I read either from this forum or amazon review that RR is somewhat unorganized and hard to read due to lack of flow. Is this true? or is this only the case for the newest edition that came out at the end of last year?

Also, is the Goljan audio that's freely downloaded corresponds to the RR book well? I remeber hearing that studying for the path works best if you combine the audio with the RR path book...:confused:

I have found that the audio corresponds pretty well with the book. Sometimes he doesn't lecture exactly in the same order as presented in the chapter, so you may have to flip within a few pages.