Path boards, call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bente

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Have been following the threads for a month or two and your enthusiasm is infectious.
Questions:
1)Pathology Boards: written, or written and oral? Does it cover both Clinical and Anatomic, or are there 2 separate tests?
2)Call: Is it typical to take it one wk at a time? I read a resident's article in which this was the case. What are typical call scenarios? Frozens? Transplant cases? Leukemia crises? transfusion rxns? I don't have a good feel for what call would entail.

thanks for any input..
BTW...this path forum is much more amiable and humorous than other specialities' forums...and I take that as a positive sign that path folks would be good to work with!!....am currently FP and going to retrain.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I can't give you specific answers about the board exam, since I haven't started residency yet, but I had to respond to the amiable and humorous reference. I am glad you see things this way. What made you see the light? I thought FP was interesting for awhile, but then I saw that doing an FP residency would basically feel like being a 3rd year med student for another few years, only with more responsibility. NICU month, ER month, wards month, surgery month, blah blah.

Call is different at every program. Most separate the AP and the CP call. AP call is usually frozen sections and taking care of anything that happens in off hours (like fielding questions or frozens). Weekends this can involve autopsies. CP call is the other stuff you mentioned. Most places will combine all CP call areas into one for the purposes of call, but the bigger ones will subdivide it, thus you can be on call for only microbiology, for example. The new residency work hours regulations have made things a bit different because you have to have one day off in 7. Thus, when I did my PSF and took AP call, I was on call for both saturday and sunday. Now, this is not possible because it would be a violation. A lot of CP call involves blood bank issues, like "my patient needs platelets," etc. Perhaps somone can give an example of what their week on call was like.

Path folks are good to work with, although like any field there are some prickly pears. There are bitter people in every field, and people who are just going to be unpleasant to be around. They can be dealt with usually, although occasionally it can make for an unpleasant week on service. This is never as bad as a single day on service with an unpleasant surgeon or ward attending though (in my opinion). Enjoy!

bente said:
Thanks Yaah, a lovely parting gift for you and Queen Cooky.

Boo yah!

But... parting gift? Who's leaving? Or am I confused, as is the norm?

Members don't see this ad :)
bente said:
Path interest piqued when began attending multiple local conferences - tumor board, chest conferences, etc...to stave off boredom inflicted by 'worried well' clinic. At the conferences, pathologists were the stars, ripped abs and all. And they saw all the great cases.

Yes, I was wondering if it had to do with well toned bodies and benching ability.

Ack, but ye have linked Chopin and Guns N Roses. Sacrilege! Sacrilege! Although, Axl Rose could play the piano fairly well. My guns reference has to do with Chopin himself, as per his contemporary Robert Schumann, wife to Clara, one of the finest and most influential pianists in history. Robert, you see, had a stroke at a young age and could not play very well, thus his wife did and was quite influential. Chopin, unfortunately, was afflicted by the consumption and could barely depress the piano keys, yet still managed to become one of the greatest pianists of all time.

As for the parting gift, thank ye muchly, although I too wonder about what we are parting from. I am parting from med school and the clutches of the commonwealth of massachusetts, which perhaps deserves a celebration in and of itself. I did not actually know there was such a thing as Chopin brand hooch. I cannot recollect offhand if Chopin was a big fan of the demon drink, but being that he had TB, I am sure that he was told to drink it regularly.

1)Pathology Boards: written, or written and oral? Does it cover both Clinical and Anatomic, or are there 2 separate tests?

slides and computer
most take both AP/CP at the same time
but, they can be taken seperately (for more money)

2)Call: Is it typical to take it one wk at a time? I read a resident's article in which this was the case. What are typical call scenarios? Frozens? Transplant cases? Leukemia crises? transfusion rxns? I don't have a good feel for what call would entail.

Call is a week at a time most places.

AP call frozen sections-rare after hours at my school, but normally lifenet wanting to see if the organs are good

CP call- Very busy, mislabled specimens, transfusion rxns, apheresis, review slides for new leukemia, etc..etc...etc.....

Autopsy call on weekends- relatively rare