Path for DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schrute

RoyalCrownChinpokoMaster
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I combed through the stickies to get some idear, but didn't come up with much and thought some direct feedback would really help (I know, I know, posting questions that can be answered by previous threads is annoying).

I'm a 3rd yr DO student (just now realizing I like path) and have loooked over most of the path residencies in the midwest to find (not surprisingly) few DOs.

I've read all the threads posted by / about FMGs, but was hoping the same doesn't go for DOs...or does it?

Not exactly having smoked USMLE 1, I'm told taking step 2 early and doing well would help. No med school research experience, but some in undergrad; grades are fine; a few scholarships, most extracurriculars center around the anatomy dept.

Any other words of advice--or comments--besides good LORs and good interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I combed through the stickies to get some idear, but didn't come up with much and thought some direct feedback would really help (I know, I know, posting questions that can be answered by previous threads is annoying).

I'm a 3rd yr DO student (just now realizing I like path) and have loooked over most of the path residencies in the midwest to find (not surprisingly) few DOs.

I've read all the threads posted by / about FMGs, but was hoping the same doesn't go for DOs...or does it?

Not exactly having smoked USMLE 1, I'm told taking step 2 early and doing well would help. No med school research experience, but some in undergrad; grades are fine; a few scholarships, most extracurriculars center around the anatomy dept.

Any other words of advice--or comments--besides good LORs and good interviews?

Good LORs and.. oh wait..
DO's can go into pathology and do. You don't have to do an internship (except to practice in certain states)

I went to TCOM, and am now in my 3rd year of pathology residency at UTMB in Galveston, Tx. There are currently 2 other DO path residents. I only took the Comlex and didn't score that high. Try to do a rotation somewhere you want to go. Good luck and don't worry, you will match somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a DO and I got great interviews and feel pretty confident that I'll match somewhere excellent. The programs didn't seem to care all that much, but they definitely asked about why I chose to go to a DO school. I have a pretty competitive application, but I still applied to 32 places because pathology means so much to me... I think it's really important to spend quality time on your personal statement, I did and got a lot of compliments on it. Also, if you get your application in EARLY (I turned mine in on the first day), you'll get more interviews. Definitely do auditions at places you think you might be interested in. Even if you decide you don't like the places you rotated at later on, you'll have some background knowledge and this will show during your interviews. :luck:!

I went to TCOM, and am now in my 3rd year of pathology residency at UTMB in Galveston, Tx. There are currently 2 other DO path residents. I only took the Comlex and didn't score that high. Try to do a rotation somewhere you want to go. Good luck and don't worry, you will match somewhere.

^^^ what he said!

thanks for the replies.
does it depend on the residency program whether or not USMLE 1/2 is needed?
I hear both it's not needed and that it's needed...

I took both the USMLE and COMLEX and did well on both of them... I also had a friend who did well on COMLEX but not USMLE and consequently didn't report the USMLE score... guess who got more interviews?

I actually thought USMLE was required for allo spots, but apparently not. Still, when in Rome...

I, for one don't know the first thing about how the COMLEX curve looks like, or how different/similar it is to the USMLE, so I think it's prudent to take the allo test too.

I only took USMLE step 1, I think USMLE step 2 is unecessary. Just pass both COMLEX 2's before interviews and tell them that all you have left to take is step 3. I had to explain a little how COMLEX PE is the DO equivalent of the USMLE CS, but really neither part of step 2 is as relevant to pathology as step 1 in my opinion.

I only took USMLE step 1, I think USMLE step 2 is unecessary. Just pass both COMLEX 2's before interviews and tell them that all you have left to take is step 3. I had to explain a little how COMLEX PE is the DO equivalent of the USMLE CS, but really neither part of step 2 is as relevant to pathology as step 1 in my opinion.

huh?! The course of patient care rests largely on our diagnosis...last I knew that is what CK tested. you could really hurt a patient by subjecting them to extensive treatment...but like you said, it's only your opinion.

Step2CK is more important than step1 for pathology residency (may be for all other specialties too), if you do well in step2 CS don’t go to pathology, if you do well in step1 mostly you will do well in pathology board exam, still personal opinion.

Step2CK is more important than step1 for pathology residency (may be for all other specialties too), if you do well in step2 CS don’t go to pathology, if you do well in step1 mostly you will do well in pathology board exam, still personal opinion.

?

I have to disagree with that. A lot of times, program directors only have step I in terms of board scores to go on when evaluating applicants. Most people take step II later in their year, the results may or may not be back by the time the match comes around. Usually they aren't back by the time applications are due though. I had a couple of program directors tell me when I interviewed that they paid attention to the CK score, but it didn't usually sway their opinion much if it came after everything else. It may correlate better than step I whether you do well in residency and beyond, but that doesn't mean too much either.

And doing well on step 2 CS doesn't have anything to do with whether you should go into pathology. Are you suggesting that anyone with a modicum of common sense and clinical skills should avoid path? That's kind of silly. CS is a standardized test which seems to test a few things, mainly english skills and communication ability as well as the ability to have some common sense and remember some things related to the exam. It doesn't really test what kind of diagnostician you are as it's an artificial situation.

Step I scores don't correlate with path board scores. Neither really do RISE scores. The only way they do correlate is that people who do well on tests are likely to do well on both, and people who don't are likely to not do well. I asked one of the people who creates the RISE exam this question.

?

It may correlate better than step I whether you do well in residency and beyond, but that doesn't mean too much either.

And doing well on step 2 CS doesn't have anything to do with whether you should go into pathology.

Step I scores don't correlate with path board scores. Neither really do RISE scores. The only way they do correlate is that people who do well on tests are likely to do well on both, and people who don't are likely to not do well. I asked one of the people who creates the RISE exam this question.

What I mean that high performance in step2CK correlates with good performance in residency not as selection criteria despite some programs do.

Step2 CS performance has nothing to do with pathology residency to great extent.

Step 2 CS performance probably has nothing to do with any residency. That's why it's a bull**** test and was only established for political and financial reasons.