path learning curve and boards step 2

Started by average
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

average

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my 4th year. Anxiously awaiting interveiws and boards.
2 questions.

1. What is the learning curve like during the first year of path? Does everyone have a bunch of experience and have some clue at arrival? I enjoyed learning pathology during my preclinical years but my school didn't emphisize it as much as other schools might. I was a non-science major in undergrad and don't have any experience in the lab beyond the rotations I will take coming up soon. Will I be way behind or is this a common situation.

2. How much should I study for step 2? I scored in the 220's on step 1; is there a threshold I should be aiming for on step 2 or is passing all that matters as far as path residency programs are concerned? Thinking about taking them in November.