path or derm before derm-path?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillystudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already asked this question on the path board...now let's see if I get different responses on this board.

Is is better to do a derm residency or a path residency if I want to go into derm-path? Which makes it easier to get a fellowship position, and which is actually better preparation for become a dermatopathogist?

Members don't see this ad.

phillystudent said:
I've already asked this question on the path board...now let's see if I get different responses on this board.

Is is better to do a derm residency or a path residency if I want to go into derm-path? Which makes it easier to get a fellowship position, and which is actually better preparation for become a dermatopathogist?
In the past most people entering dermpath fellowships were Dermatologists,then interest in cosmetic and surgical procedures exploded and interest by derm residents dropped and pathologists filled the void.Now interest by derm residents has again increased as the dermpath has been discovered to be a big money maker after all.Most dermatologists would prefer to have their slides read by a dermatologist-dermatopathologist if possible since the clinical presentation of the patients situation can be more clearly communicated and appreciated by them.Dermpath programs often would love to have dermatologists in their fellowships if they could get them (not always but usually this is the case),It would likely be much easier to get in as a derm grad than pathologist as the number of path grads seeking these spots is far greater than the few derm grads looking for them. Of course the real problem is getting a derm residency first,if you manage that feat, a dermpath fellowship will not be that difficult to obtain.You can become a good dermatopathologist through either route.

I posted the same question on the path website and end got some replies suggesting that if you do Derm and then DermPath, then when it's all done you could go into practice splitting time between seeing patients and looking at slides. Do any of you derm people know how likely it is to be able to do that in practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
phillystudent said:
I posted the same question on the path website and end got some replies suggesting that if you do Derm and then DermPath, then when it's all done you could go into practice splitting time between seeing patients and looking at slides. Do any of you derm people know how likely it is to be able to do that in practice?
\
Yes,it is not unusual to see dermatologists who have done a dermpath fellowship divide their time up between the two.Its possible to have a private derm practice and do a couple of days a week with a dermpath lab or in an academic setting if thats your choice.

Dermatologists and pathologists each bring something to the table (or microscope). Derm-training can certainly be an advantage in comparing to clinical features, while path-training can enhance interpretation of slides, because a derm-trained dermpath has had less exposure to non-derm morphology. Seems that fellow selection can be biased towards the background of the PD, but a good program should have both types of fellows.

In my experience, one is not better than the other. Rather, they complement each other with different strengths and weaknesses.
As regards double-jobbing, I agree with previous poster: A derm-trained dermpath can also do clinical derm, while a path-trained dermpath can, and frequently do, look at non-derm slides.