path residency and clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaidyaga

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello...

i would like some advice/opinions on getting into path. resideny with "not so stellar thid year clerkship grades". there has been a similar post, but i thought i will start a new thread since my situation is slightly different. i am a third year medical student...almost fourth year...on my last rotation. in my school, we have a system of grades ranging from honors to low pass, and the worst would be a "fail". i have managed to get mostly passes...and a couple of low passes. although i haven't failed any clerkships, another low pass would get me dismissed from school. so i am really concerned and trying to do my best in my current rotation. my grades from first two years of school were really good with several honors and high passes. i am wondering if my "average third year clerkship grades" would majorly affect my chances of securing a good path residency. i am not aiming for the top programs because my first preference is to remain in my hometown where the path program is good, but certainly no where near the top.

i would like to know if someone in a similar situation managed to get a good path. residency at their choice of program. what steps did you take to make up for any poor clerkship grades?
thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the advice on the prior posts still applies - grades are a factor but not the major factor. Your deans letter, with comments will probably be looked at more than your actual grades, because there will be explanations there. I don't know of anyone in your situation who has matched at a good program, but I also don't know of anyone in your situation who hasn't. Because people don't often talk about their grades except on forums such as this. Doing well on board exams and getting good LORs will most likely more than make up for deficient grades.