path residency..which is better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josephmedman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..
i was wondering if anyone could throw their opinion my way..if you guys had to choose..which do you think program directors of pathology would look higher upon for an FMG when it comes time for residency..a dermatopath externship at smaller hospital, research experience with no publications, or hematopath observership at a very big university hospital..im torn between all these options available to me..was wondering if one of you could throw your opinion my way..thanks a lot..

Members don't see this ad.

Which one do you want to do? I'd pick that one. Although if you have no exposure to path yet, I would pick one of the path ones.

they are all path though..what do you mean...and yeah..yoru right..ive had ZERO exposure to path..killer recommendations in IM, cardio, family and Hem/onc but i was wondering for a general path residency, which do you guys think would look best on paper..

Members don't see this ad :)
go to the university hospital...that way you can at least score a letter of recommendation from somebody important.

thanks andy..i mean in pathology..what is the difference between externship and observership anyways..esp. hematopathology..its not like internal med. where there is all this malpractice..thanks for input..anyone else??

pick the larger university hospital, and get a good letter from them. you'll be surprised at just HOW valuable a strong LOR can be to differentiate you from other IMGs.

cheers

thanks for the input riri..much appreciated..