Path residents have it good.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voxel

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
They don't have to an internship in medicine/surgery like radiologists do. You guys have it good. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hehe, us no way I work terrible hours. 43 last week :p

And, I have had to take one week of home call so far this year too!

Yeah, its easier than say medicine but I did a rotation at a northern CA program and even their lab medicine people are there every night until 6 or 7 (med interns are out by 3-4 usually when not on call) and then have a lot of reading to do. The AP people work even harder and also have a lot of reading to do. Path may look easier but I'm thinking it balances out in the end if you want to be good at it. Maybe some programs work you harder than others?

M-

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on the rotation. Surg path is about 70 hours a week, chemisty (which is what I am on now) low 40s. And, these hours can really vary program to program.

Well at least you get do something that is part of what you will probably do as part of your future job rather than being a glorified secretary/coordinator. ;) And medicine internship is probably much more painful than 1st year of path residency. :D

No doubt about that Vox, the year will go fast though. I can hardly believe I am a second year now.

Hey Magree,
Where did you do your rotation in northern CA? I am doing an a rotation in surg path at Stanford starting later this month. I am looking to get the down low on the program. So far, no one has been able to give me any specifics about the program other than it's super busy. Any input would be appreciated.