FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Okay, so, I have the Path Shelf upcoming in 4 weeks and Step I 6 weeks after that.

I have the following options in terms of practice questions:

USMLEWorld (only lightly touched): maybe done 40-50 questions so far (78% avg) (I like to make quizzes of 10-15 questions)

USMLEConsult pathology (that came with RR): I have done 65% of it and I have 75% average

Robbins QBook I have been using a lot of the year: I have 10 chapters of questions I have yet to go through.

USMLERx (57% average): used throughout the 1-2nd year its about 60% done (randomlly usually before exams--great way to memorize first aid)

I am trying to figure out which questions I should focus on that would be most helpful for the Path Shelf then leading up to Step I. My thoughts are the following:

Finish USLMEConsult (its only 500 QBank total) and it should follow along with RR during my review for the shelf.

Try and do the path chapters of questions in Robbins QBook I am weakest on.

Fill in any remaining time with UWorld.

Then post shelf: mix in Uworld and USMLERx (focusing more on UWorld).

It is an ambitious amount of questions. Let me know if you have any more insight either for Path Shelf or Step I prep.

illixir

One
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a similar path final a month ago, I read a chapter of robbins a day(about 20 days), the systems portions and used robbins review questions and cards to nail it in. It wasn't the path shelf, it was just a final for a systems path grad course that was essentially board review written by our path prof that helps write the USMLE questions. I wanted to get around to RR in the last few days but I just couldnt do it at the time.

If you mainly want to do questions then I'd say that the review question book esp is good which it looks like you'll prob finish. UWorld has tough questions so there's definately good path ones but some of them will of course have integrations with other subjects which you may not be up on or may not want to be focusing on for path. I wanted to save uworld for my study period. I'd also recommend rapid review and goljan audio(I'm actually going through it right now for boards), I think you get some questions with that too in the book and online. He has alot of integrations too though, so maybe stick to the systems part for your path shelf. Brs is another option, not sure if they have questions.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I had a similar path final a month ago, I read a chapter of robbins a day(about 20 days), the systems portions and used robbins review questions and cards to nail it in. It wasn't the path shelf, it was just a final for a systems path grad course that was essentially board review written by our path prof that helps write the USMLE questions. I wanted to get around to RR in the last few days but I just couldnt do it at the time.

If you mainly want to do questions then I'd say that the review question book esp is good which it looks like you'll prob finish. UWorld has tough questions so there's definately good path ones but some of them will of course have integrations with other subjects which you may not be up on or may not want to be focusing on for path. I wanted to save uworld for my study period. I'd also recommend rapid review and goljan audio(I'm actually going through it right now for boards), I think you get some questions with that too in the book and online. He has alot of integrations too though, so maybe stick to the systems part for your path shelf. Brs is another option, not sure if they have questions.
Wow, you read a chapter of Robbins a day ? (like medium robbins?) that seems impossible amount of reading to do. (baby robbins?--that seems more reasonable).

In terms of my studying, I am also mixing in RR Reading and Goljans audio and finishing up my Robbins reading (I have been reading Daddy Robbins all year, but by now it is gettin PAINFUL to read).

I've picked up BRS I am definitely not a fan (in comparison to RR but it does have questions at teh end of each chapter) Not sure if they are worth doing. Any more insight is appreciated.

FutureDoc4

10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Bump for advice.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A chapter of Robbins a day? Dear God. I feel like reading a page a day is above and beyond.

I tossed up a thread on this subject in Allo but haven't gotten any love yet. :( My plan so far is to read through the margin notes in Goljan and the path section in FA and do Rx practice questions with whatever time I have left. I have about 2.5 days to study for it, so whatever I do has to be super efficient.

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I wonder what reason schools do or don't use shelf exams for basic science years. Our school never does, but I sort of wish I'd seen a few just for the hell of it.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think it's just a gauge on how effectively the material is being taught from year to year and gives the school a rough impression of how it stands nationally.

username456789

7+ Year Member
May 24, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I think it's just a gauge on how effectively the material is being taught from year to year and gives the school a rough impression of how it stands nationally.

Maybe my school's in denial then.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We were told last year how many schools use the NBME's, and it really isn't that many - about a third or something. I'm not sure why they aren't more popular. It's great practice for the students, if nothing else.

Phur

7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For the path shelf, I did Kaplan path book and videos (old ones with the really energetic guy who gets a cold a day or so in). Didn't do amazing, but was respectable and did way way better than I thought. Felt it was really heavy on molecular stuff at the time. Of the ones listed, I think Robbins qbook would help you most.

For step I did over 10k questions. Overkill? probably, but I think I learned better from thinking through things than just reading over and over and advocate mass amounts of questions to everyone who asks for advice. UW is king by far. I'd say Rx in a distant 2nd, but the thing I liked was the simulation mode. I did a full 336 a day for 8 or 9 days starting a couple weeks before my exam. On test day I felt like I could have gone on for another block or two. Fatigue was not an issue, so I try to suggest getting used to doing that amount of questions, so you're not wiped in block 3 or 4.

Not sure if I answered your actual question or not, but hope it helps.

illixir

One
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I thought Dr. Barone(kaplan guy with the cold) was really methodical and straightforward in covering everything and actually had a decent amount of detail, probably better for a path shelf. I'm going through goljan again right now and I think his audios are alot better for the step though, much more understanding is built. I'm following along in RR based on that pdf that has all the audio/chapter correspondences.

I highlighted to keep myself engaged in Robbins and I tried to be pretty particular so that I wasn't just droning and highlighting everything but only things I thought I would want to have seen again. Hardly any of the chapters in the systems part(10-29) are longer than 60 pages, maybe the lung one or something. I went at a pace of 20 pages an hour and I found it pretty manageable, I'd spend 3 hours on a chapter, then spend an hour and a half on robbins review questions of the previous day's chapter, and then a half hour on flashcards I have. I thought it was pretty manageable, about 5-6 hours a day, really the only studying I was doing during that time period.