Path Through Medical School - Question for New Orthopedic Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ModernDolphin52

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

I was wondering if some current orthopedic residents would be willing to describe their paths in medical school and the kind of things that they were involved with. A lot of people mention that step is the most important factor. However, I would like to get an idea of the kind of opportunities people pursued outside of studying for step. I appreciate your help.
 
Hello!

I was wondering if some current orthopedic residents would be willing to describe their paths in medical school and the kind of things that they were involved with. A lot of people mention that step is the most important factor. However, I would like to get an idea of the kind of opportunities people pursued outside of studying for step. I appreciate your help.

Read this. The Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Application Process: An... : JAAOS - Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With the recent step 1 p/f change, do you think the importance of research has significantly increased?
Step 1 had literally nothing to do with orthopedics so I feel like ortho programs will have no problem using step 2 as their metric since its irrelevant anyway.
 
Step 1 had literally nothing to do with orthopedics so I feel like ortho programs will have no problem using step 2 as their metric since its irrelevant anyway.

I’m not sure what you mean by irrelevant. step 1 is the biggest predictor in the match for ortho as demonstrated in the literature. now, it will likely be step 2.
 
I’m not sure what you mean by irrelevant. step 1 is the biggest predictor in the match for ortho as demonstrated in the literature. now, it will likely be step 2.

It was only relevant because it was the metric that programs used to judge applicants, and all the programs used that metric. Almost none of the knowledge from step 1 has anything to do with orthopedics. Changing the metric to step 2 shouldn’t be an issue as long as everyone does it.