Path Through Medical School - Question for New Orthopedic Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ModernDolphin52

Reaction score
Hello!

I was wondering if some current orthopedic residents would be willing to describe their paths in medical school and the kind of things that they were involved with. A lot of people mention that step is the most important factor. However, I would like to get an idea of the kind of opportunities people pursued outside of studying for step. I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I was wondering if some current orthopedic residents would be willing to describe their paths in medical school and the kind of things that they were involved with. A lot of people mention that step is the most important factor. However, I would like to get an idea of the kind of opportunities people pursued outside of studying for step. I appreciate your help.

Read this. The Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Application Process: An... : JAAOS - Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons

Reactions: 3 users
For the most competitive programs, how important is it for you to be first or second author rather than being further down the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
With the recent step 1 p/f change, do you think the importance of research has significantly increased?
Step 1 had literally nothing to do with orthopedics so I feel like ortho programs will have no problem using step 2 as their metric since its irrelevant anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1 had literally nothing to do with orthopedics so I feel like ortho programs will have no problem using step 2 as their metric since its irrelevant anyway.

I’m not sure what you mean by irrelevant. step 1 is the biggest predictor in the match for ortho as demonstrated in the literature. now, it will likely be step 2.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure what you mean by irrelevant. step 1 is the biggest predictor in the match for ortho as demonstrated in the literature. now, it will likely be step 2.

It was only relevant because it was the metric that programs used to judge applicants, and all the programs used that metric. Almost none of the knowledge from step 1 has anything to do with orthopedics. Changing the metric to step 2 shouldn’t be an issue as long as everyone does it.

It was only relevant because it was the metric that programs used to judge applicants, and all the programs used that metric. Almost none of the knowledge from step 1 has anything to do with orthopedics. Changing the metric to step 2 shouldn’t be an issue as long as everyone does it.

Yes I agree about the knowledge part.

Reactions: 1 user