Path Vocab List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WEEK ONE:
1.) Wad: noun
2.) Panty-dropper: adjective
3.) Immunoarchitecture: noun

Feel free to come up with definitions and use them in sentences.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
I want an appropriate definition for "positive immunostain," while we're at it.
At our institution we have 3 levels:
1. Scope positive-maybe, maybe not.
2. TV positive-the monitor in the multi-head room makes brown things look browner, so if we want something to be positive that's questionable on the scope, we look at the TV and see if it's "TV positive"
3. Fed Ex positive-if the Fed Ex man (or woman) delivering outside slides can look at them and say, "Yup, looks brown to me", it's Fed Ex positive.
Hope that helps.

gungho said:
2. TV positive-the monitor in the multi-head room makes brown things look browner, so if we want something to be positive that's questionable on the scope, we look at the TV and see if it's "TV positive"
3. Fed Ex positive-if the Fed Ex man (or woman) delivering outside slides can look at them and say, "Yup, looks brown to me", it's Fed Ex positive.
Hope that helps.

The biggest most important issue with determining positivity for an immunostain is realizing what cellular compartment is supposed to contain the antigen. Although this sounds simple, its a hurdle alot of pathologists cant get over, especially the old farts (die already) and thus the need for outsourcing to commericial labs like IMPATH, USLABS and on the east coast Dianon Systems and Ameripath. If you get to a path group where they outsource their interpretation of IHC, think twice about the group.

gungho said:
Hope that helps.

I wish we had a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.

LADoc00 said:
The biggest most important issue with determining positivity for an immunostain is realizing what cellular compartment is supposed to contain the antigen. Although this sounds simple, its a hurdle alot of pathologists cant get over, especially the old farts (die already) and thus the need for outsourcing to commericial labs like IMPATH, USLABS and on the east coast Dianon Systems and Ameripath. If you get to a path group where they outsource their interpretation of IHC, think twice about the group.

Yeah - we saw a case today in consult conference - history of "ewing's/pnet" paraspinal, 10 years later had a mass in the lung, resection specimen was a small round blue cell tumor, similar overall pattern to a Ewing's. CD-99 positive from across the room.

BUT

It wasn't membrane staining, it was cytoplasmic. And those little areas of cartilage aren't that common in ewings.

DX: Mesenchymal chondrosarcoma.