PathCONSULT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotdocmitch

Dermatopathology Fellow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to PathCONSULT? :mad: At least pathologyoutlines is still working.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what happened to PathCONSULT? :mad: At least pathologyoutlines is still working.

gone and now it costs money -- they had some of the best pics on the web, too -- elsevier pics straight out of rosai

Wow. That is very sad. Great site. I used it a lot to find pics when studying for boards. Pathconsultddx was the main reason I had not yet pursued creating a surgical pathology section in the pathology wiki, as their site was already great and free. With it gone/not free, perhaps I should reconsider adding this to the wiki. It would be a huge undertaking and would require a lot of help, but wouldn't it be nice to have a wikipedia for all of surg path, complete with photos? I will have to give this some more thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
That would be great if we could have a wiki similar to pathconsult.
Let's keep path information free!!
I don't want to pay thousands for pathology textbooks and online access.
I'm just a poor resident.

Wow. That is very sad. Great site. I used it a lot to find pics when studying for boards. Pathconsultddx was the main reason I had not yet pursued creating a surgical pathology section in the pathology wiki, as their site was already great and free. With it gone/not free, perhaps I should reconsider adding this to the wiki. It would be a huge undertaking and would require a lot of help, but wouldn't it be nice to have a wikipedia for all of surg path, complete with photos? I will have to give this some more thought.

That would be great! Maybe it would put an end to super expensive textbooks.

super expensive books for which they release new editions on every couple of years so you feel obligated to buy the most uptodate version.

i wish that they would charge for these books based on whether you're still a resident or an attending. residents don't have much extra money to pay for books after taking into account living expenses, especially in programs whcih don't offer money for books.

super expensive books for which they release new editions on every couple of years so you feel obligated to buy the most uptodate version.

i wish that they would charge for these books based on whether you're still a resident or an attending. residents don't have much extra money to pay for books after taking into account living expenses, especially in programs whcih don't offer money for books.

Well I don't think they should charge more just because someone makes more money, but I do think that is how they price books. If you look at a color atlas for hematology techs, the books are super cheap, if they are made for MDs, they are expensive.

I think it goes on all the time, especially for things like CAP and CME. They want to charge 3000 for those transformation programs (like the breast pathologist one, which consists of a few hours of online classes, a one day conference and a test). Do they have any idea how much 3000 is. It like 1/15 median household income. They just know that it will be attended by rich private practice pathologist for whom 3000 isn't that big of a deal.

I also hate how MOC activities all cost money. Read a journal article, spend 25 to take an innane ten question quiz.

It's a lot of work, but I like the concept of that sort of thing being on the wiki. I started something along those lines when I first started residency, mainly as a personal study site since I found it more interesting to play around on the computer than take handwritten notes (how in the name of pigsnot do some people read Rosai and take notes from the reading to study from, like they were in med school or something??), but as with most things toyed with by a lone busy resident with oodles of other distractions it never really went anywhere (just updated the software on it today for the first time in about 3 years, oddly enough, so it exists but is embarassingly useless and didn't weather the update particularly well). Attaching it to an organization or active group is generally more productive, and tends to weather the passage of time and changes in personnel better.

gone and now it costs money -- they had some of the best pics on the web, too -- elsevier pics straight out of rosai

Bummer. Where exactly do I get access to it now should I break down and buy access for a while?

Thanks in advance.