Pathology Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banabread16

Reaction score
Heys everybody! I originally posted this in the boards form but it was recommended that I cross post here. I apologize if this is out of bounds for this form.

I am a 3rd year DO student who passed COMLEX 1 but did not pass Step1. Pretty much feels like a worse case scenario. No other issues during preclinicals and doing well on my clinical rotations so far. I'm hoping to match in pathology with IM and EM being backup.

Is there a chance of me matching path? Should I retake Step 1? I know the damage is already done so I am unsure as to how much benefit a pass would provide at this point.

Appreciate any of you thank take the time to respon to this. Thank you!

Edit: I am generally interested in pathology. I have been since 1st year of preclinicals. I will be doing all my 3rd year electives in pathology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read one of the other literally thousands of identical posts to this. We don’t know how individual programs will view your red flags, best you can do is apply broadly and see where the chips fall. Obviously you should understand some of the risks of matching into pathology and its up to you whether these outweigh not matching or taking gap years for clinical specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Heys everybody! I originally posted this in the boards form but it was recommended that I cross post here. I apologize if this is out of bounds for this form.

I am a 3rd year DO student who passed COMLEX 1 but did not pass Step1. Pretty much feels like a worse case scenario. No other issues during preclinicals and doing well on my clinical rotations so far. I'm hoping to match in pathology with IM and EM being backup.

Is there a chance of me matching path? Should I retake Step 1? I know the damage is already done so I am unsure as to how much benefit a pass would provide at this point.

Appreciate any of you thank take the time to respon to this. Thank you!

Edit: I am generally interested in pathology. I have been since 1st year of preclinicals. I will be doing all my 3rd year electives in pathology.

I would recommend retaking it if possible. You could always use it as a way to demonstrate that you can grow and overcome obstacles. Just be willing to interview lots of places.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend retaking it if possible. You could always use it as a way to demonstrate that you can grow and overcome obstacles. Just be willing to interview lots of places
I'm def willing interview to interview at a ton of places!

Read one of the other literally thousands of identical posts to this. We don’t know how individual programs will view your red flags, best you can do is apply broadly and see where the chips fall. Obviously you should understand some of the risks of matching into pathology and its up to you whether these outweigh not matching or taking gap years for clinical specialties.
What are some of the risks you would say are part of matching to pathology?