pathology assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickto21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm looking into graduate programs, something that's an extension of biochemistry, and I found a program at Ohio State that would make me a pathologist's assistant. It said that I would take gross anatomy, histology, and have to learn how to do a full autopsy.

Sounds pretty neat, but....

I'm not really sure what a pathologist's assistant does.

Do they actually perform autopsy's,etc?

Any insight is much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,
I'm looking into graduate programs, something that's an extension of biochemistry, and I found a program at Ohio State that would make me a pathologist's assistant. It said that I would take gross anatomy, histology, and have to learn how to do a full autopsy.

Sounds pretty neat, but....

I'm not really sure what a pathologist's assistant does.

Do they actually perform autopsy's,etc?

Any insight is much appreciated

i think being a PA is a great job. all the PAs i know LOVE their job...great pay for the amount of training and degree of liabilty. from what i've seen, they gross specimens and yes, i have heard of them doing autopsy. i'm not sure how it works in private practice but at teaching hospitals, PAs also get to train residents and so there is opportunity for teaching if that's something you're into.

i'm not clear on the extent of histology that they see, i suppose it depends on where they practice??? at the academic ctrs i've been to, none of the PAs use the microscope.

there are only so many schools that train pathology assistants so you would have geographical limitations if you wanted legitimate, certifiable training.

i think it is a great career path if you know that don't want to do medical training to actually do the rest of what a pathologist does.

this is the extent of my knowledge. good luck.

I would wager most PAs don't do much autopsy in the course of their job, although some do. It is part of training though. Most PAs spend their days grossing specimens - oftentimes they are responsible for all of the tiny biopsies and standard specimens, although at most places they have some large grossing responsibilities. There are also places where PAs do a lot of frozens during the day.

In terms of the autopsies, their role if they participate would probably be as a diener (opening the body, taking measurements, cleaning up, lots of knife work, etc).

In general I think PAs make $60-80k per year.

Members don't see this ad :)
sequela said:
i think being a PA is a great job. all the PAs i know LOVE their job...great pay for the amount of training and degree of liabilty. from what i've seen, they gross specimens and yes, i have heard of them doing autopsy.

REALLY? nearly all the PA's i've spoken with are dead tired of their job....most of them move around from hospital to hospital quite often and switch jobs. they do get paid well, and at our hospital they do assist in Autopsies, but only when the deaner is off. But the general feeling i get off talking to PA's is that they feel confined to just grossing...i know alot of them wish they could do medical school. Some of them really are very intelligent.

REALLY? nearly all the PA's i've spoken with are dead tired of their job....most of them move around from hospital to hospital quite often and switch jobs. they do get paid well, and at our hospital they do assist in Autopsies, but only when the deaner is off. But the general feeling i get off talking to PA's is that they feel confined to just grossing...i know alot of them wish they could do medical school. Some of them really are very intelligent.

yeah...the ones i've talked to really love their jobs. the majority are at academic ctrs (which are known to treat their staff well) and one is in private practice and absolutely loves her employers.

like anything, i'm sure it all comes down to the work enviornment with some being much better than others, and sometimes even worth a pay cut. so, it is hard to generalize.

i do agree that there is probably a strong possibility one might come to feel confined and eventually earn for a deeper understanding or more integral role in the practice of pathology. i know i would but i am sure there is some population of PAs that are content with the extent of their responsibilities and expertise. and that may have more to do with lifestyle choices and personal priorities than with intelligence.

so, i would always suggest that a person considering such a career choice truly know themselves and know what their ultimate career/professional goals/ideals might be both now and 10-20 yr from now. sometimes circumstance or practical considerations (family, kids, finances, etc) decides these things for you. but if you have the choice and/or opportunity to go to med school, then it's best to think long and hard about the pros/cons of both pathways.

either way, it is a solid career choice when considering various healthare professions.

yeah...the ones i've talked to really love their jobs. the majority are at academic ctrs (which are known to treat their staff well) and one is in private practice and absolutely loves her employers.

like anything, i'm sure it all comes down to the work enviornment with some being much better than others, and sometimes even worth a pay cut. so, it is hard to generalize.

i do agree that there is probably a strong possibility one might come to feel confined and eventually earn for a deeper understanding or more integral role in the practice of pathology. i know i would but i am sure there is some population of PAs that are content with the extent of their responsibilities and expertise. and that may have more to do with lifestyle choices and personal priorities than with intelligence.

so, i would always suggest that a person considering such a career choice truly know themselves and know what their ultimate career/professional goals/ideals might be both now and 10-20 yr from now. sometimes circumstance or practical considerations (family, kids, finances, etc) decides these things for you. but if you have the choice and/or opportunity to go to med school, then it's best to think long and hard about the pros/cons of both pathways.

either way, it is a solid career choice when considering various healthare professions.

i agree with alot of what you're saying....but the ones i know range from working at smaller places all the way up to huge academic centers...and they all sort of have the same outlook of feeling trapped within a one-track work week. I think the most common statement i remember hearing is "yeah, but i can't go any further up in my career" (or something to that extent)....which is something i can understand being frustrated about, there aren't really any promotions in being a PA.

but yes...it's a good paying job with alot of jobs available...and definitely a good choice for someone looking for immediate stability and a solid salary with just a 4 year bachelor's degree.

i agree with alot of what you're saying....but the ones i know range from working at smaller places all the way up to huge academic centers...and they all sort of have the same outlook of feeling trapped within a one-track work week. I think the most common statement i remember hearing is "yeah, but i can't go any further up in my career" (or something to that extent)....which is something i can understand being frustrated about, there aren't really any promotions in being a PA.

but yes...it's a good paying job with alot of jobs available...and definitely a good choice for someone looking for immediate stability and a solid salary with just a 4 year bachelor's degree.

From my knowledge of the subject a PA program is a master’s degree program. So you would have to equate 6 years than 4 (4 UNDERGRAD AND 2 FOR MASTERS) I believe that they are now under a certification by the ASCP, which prevents non masters degree PA's to practice widely. Most programs have one year of book work then 1 year of rotations in a clinical environment before graduation and certification. The program up here provides them to rotate in a variety of clinical scenarios including private and academic centers as well as a stent at the ME's office. I have heard of PA's performing autopsies in certain hospitals that don’t have dieners.:luck:

From my knowledge of the subject a PA program is a master's degree program. So you would have to equate 6 years than 4 (4 UNDERGRAD AND 2 FOR MASTERS) I believe that they are now under a certification by the ASCP, which prevents non masters degree PA's to practice widely.

Master's? no. PA's generally have only Bachelor's degrees. If they were required to be Masters, i think our residencies would be much harder with no PA's!! haha ;)

Master's? no. PA's generally have only Bachelor's degrees. If they were required to be Masters, i think our residencies would be much harder with no PA's!! haha ;)

Check it

http://pathology.mc.duke.edu/website/WebForm.aspx?id=AcadProgMain

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1042.xml

http://www.pathology.ecu.edu/Public/graduate/paprogram.htm

http://www.pathology.med.ohio-state.edu/ext/GradProg/PAP/default.htm

http://66.99.255.20/srhs/pathasst/

This is from their national web site

Q: What exactly is the professional commitment of a Path Asst?

A: Only master level programs can host a Path Asst candidate eligible for ASCP BOR certification.

Q: How do I become an AAPA member?

A: AAPA membership categories include Fellow, Affiliate, and Student members. A member is elevated to Fellow upon passing the ASCP BOR Pathologists’ Assistant Certification Examination. To join the AAPA, you must be a student attending a NAACLS accredited training program. Alternatively, some on-the-job trained (OJT) individuals may still have time to join before the phase out date of December 31, 2007. You must have completed a Bachelor’s program and have had three years of continuous bench experience to become exam eligible through the ASCP BOR. Once exam eligible, you have the option to become an Affiliate member of the AAPA. After 2007, the OJT route will no longer be available. You are not eligible to make the phase out deadline unless you were employed prior to December 31, 2004, and will have completed your Bachelor’s degree by the December 31, 2007, phase out date.

Reactions: 1 user
mcfaddens said:
Q: How do I become an AAPA member?

A: AAPA membership categories include Fellow, Affiliate, and Student members. A member is elevated to Fellow upon passing the ASCP BOR Pathologists’ Assistant Certification Examination. To join the AAPA, you must be a student attending a NAACLS accredited training program. Alternatively, some on-the-job trained (OJT) individuals may still have time to join before the phase out date of December 31, 2007. You must have completed a Bachelor’s program and have had three years of continuous bench experience to become exam eligible through the ASCP BOR. Once exam eligible, you have the option to become an Affiliate member of the AAPA. After 2007, the OJT route will no longer be available. You are not eligible to make the phase out deadline unless you were employed prior to December 31, 2004, and will have completed your Bachelor’s degree by the December 31, 2007, phase out date.

interesting...i don't know much about certification and all that stuff. but ALOT of PAs have bachelor degrees only.

there are programs with just bachelor's PA training in school.

http://www.mortsci.wayne.edu/apa_info.htm

one of the biggest sites of training Pathologist Assistants here in New York is here:http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/pharmacy/programs/pathologist.sju

i think what it may come down to is whether the person decides they wanna be a PA before completing undergraduate (bachelor's) or after a science BS (master's)...but 6 years of school is alot for a PA i think, especially considering Med. School would only be 2 more years....then again, it's tougher to get into...so.....

interesting...i don't know much about certification and all that stuff. but ALOT of PAs have bachelor degrees only.

there are programs with just bachelor's PA training in school.

http://www.mortsci.wayne.edu/apa_info.htm

one of the biggest sites of training Pathologist Assistants here in New York is here:http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/undergraduate/pharmacy/programs/pathologist.sju

i think what it may come down to is whether the person decides they wanna be a PA before completing undergraduate (bachelor's) or after a science BS (master's)...but 6 years of school is alot for a PA i think, especially considering Med. School would only be 2 more years....then again, it's tougher to get into...so.....

True, but if they arent grandfathered in or finish a path assistant BS by december of next year then they cant be a PA. I am gonna have to disagree with you on the length of training issue. Gross diagnosis and prosection In my opinion is so crucial to providing a proper pathologic examination. A million mistakes could be made before the slide ever reaches your eyes, and a good PA with a soild educational background is vital to your sucess as a diagnostician. I dont know what the feeling is among residents around the country but a good gross inspection is so valuable and I would personally want someone with good soild training (ie a masters or some grad degree) to be involved in that.

Yes med school is only 2 more years but you forget about residency years and a significantly larger med school loan debt.:luck:

Thanks for the replies.

nickto21.

Hi,

I graduated from the Pathologist Assistant program at Wayne State University in Michigan and currently work as a PA at a large teaching hospital. I think I might be able to shed some light on some of the queries presented in this thread.

First, there are only 7 accredited Pathologists' Assistant programs in the US, all of which are taught at the Master's level with the exception of Wayne State University that is still at the Bachelor's level. From what I understand,
WSU is also in the process of converting their program to the graduate level.

It is not uncommon for allied health programs to be taught at the graduate level. Take, for instance, the field of physical therapy. Initially this program was offered at the Bachelor's level and now all PT programs are converting to Doctor of Physical Therapy programs. The same is true for Pharmacists. Physician Assistant programs are now mostly taught at the Master's level, too. Don't forget, doctor's still have a residency to do after medical school and so the education is not complete with 8 years.

In regards to autopsies--yes, we are able to do complete autopsies on our own without a pathologist directly present. We are able to serve in the capacity as autopsy assistant, prosector, or both. We are trained extensively in performing hosptial and forensic autopsies. At most hospitals, PA's normally serve as the prosector and dissect the organ block looking for a cause of death. At my previous position at the Detroit Medical Center, I served as prosector during autopsy and had an autopsy attendant working with me to eviscerate the organ block and clean up afterwards. Of course, this role could change depending where you are. At my current position, we have pathology residents that are required to do 50 autopsies each and so we do not have to do autopsies. I volunteered to fill in as the autopsy assistant when he is on vacation, though.

As far as grossing in concerned, we gross everything from simple biopsies to the most complex cases. We do this without direct supervision of a pathologist. As long as the pathologist is available by phone for consult if we need it, we are able to gross any case that comes in.

Frozen section coverage depends on where you are located. At my previous position, I prepped the specimen, took sections for microscopic evaulation in consult with the pathologist, froze and stained the sections. At my current position, the histotechs mainly cut the frozens but the residents have to do the prep work.

I disagree with PA's not being happy with their chosen career. The job can be stressfull, but overall I would say most of us are thrilled to be working in this field. Don't confuse on-the-job trained PA's without formal education or certification with PA's certified by the AAPA. I've seen more than once where histotechs are trained to gross simple specimens like biopsies, placentas, etc., but they are not doing the complicated stuff. If all I did day in and day out was gross biopsies, I don't think I'd enjoy my career much either.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me. I do not check this forum regularly.

Joseph Goff
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
St. John's program is no longer accredited by NAACLS.

I disagree with PA's not being happy with their chosen career. The job can be stressfull, but overall I would say most of us are thrilled to be working in this field. Don't confuse on-the-job trained PA's without formal education or certification with PA's certified by the AAPA. I've seen more than once where histotechs are trained to gross simple specimens like biopsies, placentas, etc., but they are not doing the complicated stuff. If all I did day in and day out was gross biopsies, I don't think I'd enjoy my career much either.

Joseph Goff
[email protected]

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that all PA's that are OJT (On-the-job trained) are inferior to those that are program trained. There are those individuals who claim to be "Pathologists' Assistants" who do nothing more than transferring small biopsies into cassettes. Others think PA's clean the morgue.

There is a vast disparity between the quality of OJT PAs, hence the move to phase out the OJT route and standardize who can call themselves a "PA (ASCP)" through a Master's level program, and rightly so. Doing so ensures the viability of the PA profession as well as sets higher standards of education and will produce graduates who demonstrate consistency in training and ability.

As an OJT Path Assistant who holds both ASCP and AAPA certification, 9+ years professional experience and on my way to Pathology residency, I can attest to the fact that there are MANY OJT trained PAs who can hold their own against Master's program trained individuals. OJT does not necessarily imply inferiority.

most of the top notch PA schools are in the east coast. There is a massive shortage of PAs in the west coast, and trust me, if they're a certified PA, they can make bAnK in the west, esp. cali. Near 6 figures.

Most pathologist assistants want near 50 bucks an hour (~100K year) + benefits + 1.5x overtime (can be up to 20K in overtime) on the west coast. Given the time to get the degree, standard 8-5 hours, relative stress free lifestyle when compared to something like nursing, being a PA actually beats out being a full PATHOLOGIST for many people. Crazy but true. Sort of like how a CRNA will make 2x as much as many peds docs.

Imagine being 25 years old, being able to cherry pick your location for a low cost of living and pulling down 120K/year. Almost no profession can match that.

I would say ANY PA degree probably would equal more income improvement than 90% of the law and B-schools.

I know about 3 who absolutely love their jobs and they are great at it. I suggest trying to contact one or two and try to shadow them for a week.

I'd have to agree that relative to the training required and the working hours, PA is one of the most attractive allied healthcare professions you can enter. I have also heard of the 100K+ salaries, and it's unlikely that demand should decline in the forseeable future, so if you don't want to be a Pathologist, it's a nice option (and you can have fun and make $$$ for 7-8 years, while your friends struggle through med school, residency and fellowship).
Downside is, of course, that you don't get to do real diagnostic work.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that all PA's that are OJT (On-the-job trained) are inferior to those that are program trained. There are those individuals who claim to be "Pathologists' Assistants" who do nothing more than transferring small biopsies into cassettes. Others think PA's clean the morgue.

There is a vast disparity between the quality of OJT PAs, hence the move to phase out the OJT route and standardize who can call themselves a "PA (ASCP)" through a Master's level program, and rightly so. Doing so ensures the viability of the PA profession as well as sets higher standards of education and will produce graduates who demonstrate consistency in training and ability.

As an OJT Path Assistant who holds both ASCP and AAPA certification, 9+ years professional experience and on my way to Pathology residency, I can attest to the fact that there are MANY OJT trained PAs who can hold their own against Master's program trained individuals. OJT does not necessarily imply inferiority.

Hi,

I think you might have misunderstood. I meant that program trained or certified (implying OJT PAs who passed the AAPA or ASCP exam) individuals should not be lumped together with so-called PAs who have not met the education requirements or passed the board exam.

Joseph Goff

Hi,

I think you might have misunderstood. I meant that program trained or certified (implying OJT PAs who passed the AAPA or ASCP exam) individuals should not be lumped together with so-called PAs who have not met the education requirements or passed the board exam.

Joseph Goff

Agreed.

I am thinking about applying to PA school. How tough is it to get in? I have a Masters in Cytology. I currently work as a Cytotech at a Reference Lab. It can be kind of stressful at times but it is not bad the pay is alright could be better but there is always the stress of missing a cancer and getting fired.

I am thinking about applying to PA school. How tough is it to get in? I have a Masters in Cytology. I currently work as a Cytotech at a Reference Lab. It can be kind of stressful at times but it is not bad the pay is alright could be better but there is always the stress of missing a cancer and getting fired.

PAs have similar stressors - you can mess up a gross dictation and dissection about 50 different ways that could impact diagnosis.

I'm sure PA school is fairly tough to get into but not that bad if you have good qualifications, like everything else.

Most pathologist assistants want near 50 bucks an hour (~100K year) + benefits + 1.5x overtime (can be up to 20K in overtime) on the west coast. Given the time to get the degree, standard 8-5 hours, relative stress free lifestyle when compared to something like nursing, being a PA actually beats out being a full PATHOLOGIST for many people. Crazy but true. Sort of like how a CRNA will make 2x as much as many peds docs.

Imagine being 25 years old, being able to cherry pick your location for a low cost of living and pulling down 120K/year.

Almost no profession can match that. Unless you are Cytotechnologist ;)

Old thread or not --

I'd say nurse practitioners and physician assistants can do pretty well, and probably have more job opportunities per population than a pathology assistant. They have to deal with more crazy patients & families, but fewer crazy pathologists...

I spent some time in residency teaching path assistant (PA) students rotating through autopsy & surg path, and of course have worked with a few PA's over the years. In general I haven't gotten the impression they're disproportionately dissatisfied with their jobs; like any other, some are bored bumping against the apparent ceiling, some are annoyed because too much is expected of them for what they want to be doing, and some wiggled their way past the "ceiling" into administration.

I generally agree with the summaries of what the PA job entails. Most PA's I know spend the vast majority of their time grossing, some teach (PA students or junior residents, depending on the institution), a few handle or assist with autopsies (primarily hospital or private), and only one I can think of does histology and prepares a complete final report for pathologist review. He's also been working in the same pathology subspecialty for many years, involved in a lot of research, and for the most part worked with the same two or so specialists -- i.e., a pretty unique position and background.

Most PA's I know don't do much more than run the gross room not for lack of interest or ability in other things, but largely because the other things they could be doing can either be handled by someone getting paid less than half their salary -or- a pathologist can do it and bill for more/rewrite it less. Their value to most practices is in powering through grossing, and being able to do it consistently well.

Old thread or not --

I'd say nurse practitioners and physician assistants can do pretty well, and probably have more job opportunities per population than a pathology assistant. They have to deal with more crazy patients & families, but fewer crazy pathologists...

I spent some time in residency teaching path assistant (PA) students rotating through autopsy & surg path, and of course have worked with a few PA's over the years. In general I haven't gotten the impression they're disproportionately dissatisfied with their jobs; like any other, some are bored bumping against the apparent ceiling, some are annoyed because too much is expected of them for what they want to be doing, and some wiggled their way past the "ceiling" into administration.

I generally agree with the summaries of what the PA job entails. Most PA's I know spend the vast majority of their time grossing, some teach (PA students or junior residents, depending on the institution), a few handle or assist with autopsies (primarily hospital or private), and only one I can think of does histology and prepares a complete final report for pathologist review. He's also been working in the same pathology subspecialty for many years, involved in a lot of research, and for the most part worked with the same two or so specialists -- i.e., a pretty unique position and background.

Most PA's I know don't do much more than run the gross room not for lack of interest or ability in other things, but largely because the other things they could be doing can either be handled by someone getting paid less than half their salary -or- a pathologist can do it and bill for more/rewrite it less. Their value to most practices is in powering through grossing, and being able to do it consistently well.

Agree with KCShaw, a combination of grossing (PA) and signing out cases (Cytotech) would be a great profession. Who knows someday they might come out with CT-PA or PA-CT programs instead of doing both separately! :rolleyes:

Old thread or not --

Hi, I am a cytotechnologists and I am currently a 2nd year Path Assist student at the University of Maryland. I have to say my background in cytology has really come in handy, cytotechs have been trained to be detailed oriented and thorough...qualities that are necessary for this profession. I still don't now how I can combine being a Pathologists' Assistant and a cytotech.

If you really want to do PA + histology/cytology with any regularity, more than just sitting in but actually be productive in some way, then my suggestion would be to look at research/mixed research-clinical related jobs when the time comes. It just seems to me that there are more opportunities to use both sets of skills in a research setting than in a clinical setting where billing, other employees or trainees doing part of the job, etc., more likely limits what you might do. Otherwise, sell yourself as wanting to incorporate both, and perhaps something will reveal itself. Just be sure that's what you really want, as some potential employers could look elsewhere if all you do is harp on how you want to do something other than what they envision for you. I still think it's a niche market, but, some practices may be willing to find a way to put you to work doing multiple things and actually save themselves something in the process.

Hello Friends ,

Myself aastha. i have to prepared feasibility report on paramedical - diploma courses of pathology after 12th. ( period of courses max 1 year ).

can any one guide me course available in market in pathology field. ? what kind of skills / diploma courses/ certificates looked by pathologist when he/she appoint candidate in labs. ?

please needful to me ..

thank u

Hello Friends ,

Myself aastha. i have to prepared feasibility report on paramedical - diploma courses of pathology after 12th. ( period of courses max 1 year ).

can any one guide me course available in market in pathology field. ? what kind of skills / diploma courses/ certificates looked by pathologist when he/she appoint candidate in labs. ?

please needful to me ..

thank u

Might wanna learn some English...

Vaastha -

I imagine you are a nice person, so I will say this as politely as possible, but your English is not good and we cannot understand what you are asking. You would likely not be able to obtain work in an English-speaking location without improving your written (and presumably verbal) English skills.

I notice a lot of Path A programs say that their ideal candidates came from backgrounds in the clinical lab sciences and cytotechnology.

I think both Path A and cytotech responsibilities sound interesting. Is there a benefit to going through a cytotech program first with the intent of eventually going through a Path A program? Or is that kind of overkill and would most people with their eye on Path A certification just suggest applying straight to the Path A program?

For people that have gone the cytotech --> path A route, do you find that you are more competitive in your job search? Are you able to take on more responsibility or diversity of tasks in your current or past positions? Do you think your skill in your current Path A role has been dramatically enhanced by your experience in cytotechnology (as one commenter in this thread has already claimed)?

Thanks for any advice! I'm really debating between the two programs, but if there is an advantage to doing both (not necessarily back to back) I'd really be interested in hearing more about that.

I didn't know that there was a specific type of assistant position in pathology that wasn't included under the physician assistant umbrella. Just out of curiosity, how do job prospects look for pathologist assistants these days? So many allied health fields seem to be in the midst of experiencing personnel oversupplies (e.g., rad. tech, rad. therapist, pharmacist, etc.) over the last few years. Are starting salaries typically in the $80-90k range that physician assistants usually command?

I didn't know that there was a specific type of assistant position in pathology that wasn't included under the physician assistant umbrella. Just out of curiosity, how do job prospects look for pathologist assistants these days? So many allied health fields seem to be in the midst of experiencing personnel oversupplies (e.g., rad. tech, rad. therapist, pharmacist, etc.) over the last few years. Are starting salaries typically in the $80-90k range that physician assistants usually command?

The salaries are actually very comparable. By that I mean, $80-100,000/year for ASCP certified PAs. I work at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston TX. Here, we only hire ASCP Certified Pathologists' Assistants who have completed a NAACLS accredited M.S. Degree in Pathology Assistant Studies. If you consult Google for the average salaries for Pathologists' Assistants, who will receive a lot of false data. There are two primary reasons for this:

1) Non-ASCP certified (self proclaimed) PAs make significantly less. However, their income is still factored in with the average salaries for all PAs. The lower salary that pertains to Non-ASCP certified PAs negatively skews the average salary for the profession as a whole.

2) Some websites make the mistake of lumping "Speech Pathologists' Assistants" in with the salaries of ASCP Certified PAs. This also skews the average salary in a negative direction.

This is what I know with 100% certainty: Within the Texas Medical Center, MD Anderson is one of the lowest paid hospitals on the block. Since we are a state funded institution, everyone's salary (including my own) is posted online through the Texas Tribune. I have posted the link below:

http://www.texastribune.org/library...er-center/titles/pathologist-assistant/36824/

Keep in mind; our salaries are a bit low when compared to the other hospitals in the area.

Last edited:
I have known ap-co board certified pathologists with subspecialty fellowships from elite programs who have take first jobs as clincal instructors at top tier programs working 50-60 hours a week 48 out of 52 for 80k a year. So yeah it sounds like being a p.a. is a good job.

The salaries are actually very comparable. By that I mean, $80-100,000/year for ASCP certified PAs. I work at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston TX. Here, we only hire ASCP Certified Pathologists' Assistants who have completed a NAACLS accredited M.S. Degree in Pathology Assistant Studies. If you consult Google for the average salaries for Pathologists' Assistants, who will receive a lot of false data. There are two primary reasons for this:

1) Non-ASCP certified (self proclaimed) PAs make significantly less. However, their income is still factored in with the average salaries for all PAs. The lower salary that pertains to Non-ASCP certified PAs negatively skews the average salary for the profession as a whole.

2) Some websites make the mistake of lumping "Speech Pathologists' Assistants" in with the salaries of ASCP Certified PAs. This also skews the average salary in a negative direction.

This is what I know with 100% certainty: Within the Texas Medical Center, MD Anderson is one of the lowest paid hospitals on the block. Since we are a state funded institution, everyone's salary (including my own) is posted online through the Texas Tribune. I have posted the link below:

http://www.texastribune.org/library...er-center/titles/pathologist-assistant/36824/

Keep in mind; our salaries are a bit low when compared to the other hospitals in the area.

Is it worth becoming a pathologist assistant and then go to medical school after a few years of working in the field? I'm debating going to Quinnipiac to do the program and then to medical school for forensic pathology...Is it to much?

Is it worth becoming a pathologist assistant and then go to medical school after a few years of working in the field? I'm debating going to Quinnipiac to do the program and then to medical school for forensic pathology...Is it to much?

I think you are better off just becoming a morgue tech if forensics is where you want to end up at. Most offices provide on-the-job training. You'll learn anatomy really well too, which will make things easier for you in your first year.

I dunno what "too much" means, but I think doing a specialty degree/technical certificate/etc., anything beyond an undergrad degree of some description, is an unnecessary loss of time and money if you can get into med school without it. As a fill-in year or whatever, maybe, but most med school admission committees are not looking for pathologists (they probably don't even know what one really does), they're looking for family/internal med, or clinical specialists who might do some research for them one day, etc.

I'll warn you though, if you go into a med school interview and say your only interest is forensic pathology, it's almost certainly not going to help, and could easily hurt. It's just the politics +/- ignorance of the system. And like as not, you'll get more than one person on the interview trail who refers you to a forensic science/criminalistics program then looks over your shoulder and shouts "NEXT!" It's also wise to get some practical experience in what a forensic pathologist's week or month is really like, because it's a heckuva long time and a lot of money down the drain to find out you don't like the reality of it and never was interested in typical clinical medicine or the rest of pathology anyway -- so phbbt on your expensive medical degree.

I think you are better off just becoming a morgue tech if forensics is where you want to end up at. Most offices provide on-the-job training. You'll learn anatomy really well too, which will make things easier for you in your first year.

I'm currently a morgue tech and I've learned many things but I would like to advance my studies in the field.

I dunno what "too much" means, but I think doing a specialty degree/technical certificate/etc., anything beyond an undergrad degree of some description, is an unnecessary loss of time and money if you can get into med school without it. As a fill-in year or whatever, maybe, but most med school admission committees are not looking for pathologists (they probably don't even know what one really does), they're looking for family/internal med, or clinical specialists who might do some research for them one day, etc.

I'll warn you though, if you go into a med school interview and say your only interest is forensic pathology, it's almost certainly not going to help, and could easily hurt. It's just the politics +/- ignorance of the system. And like as not, you'll get more than one person on the interview trail who refers you to a forensic science/criminalistics program then looks over your shoulder and shouts "NEXT!" It's also wise to get some practical experience in what a forensic pathologist's week or month is really like, because it's a heckuva long time and a lot of money down the drain to find out you don't like the reality of it and never was interested in typical clinical medicine or the rest of pathology anyway -- so phbbt on your expensive medical degree.

You have a point there but I know what the day to day is like because I work along side pathlologists. I was under the impression that being a PA would help me get into medical school.

Well, that's where the "if you can get into med school without it" comes in.

Med school admission committees are sometimes an unpredictable bunch. Some will see any gap between undergrad and med school as a negative, unless you're doing something so awesome or unique that it just can't be ignored, like taking a year to be a civilian on the next moon landing. Some will see even working in a health-care related field as "well, you weren't good enough to get in right after undergrad, and we've got all these fresh young finishing undergrads we can fill out our class with already, sooo...." But some can be convinced that the added age and experience means you're more dedicated and understanding of what you're trying to get into and mature enough to succeed. In short, if there is going to be some gap time, then having any kind of health care background is probably better than some other background. But few people in medicine outside of pathologists have any idea what a pathology assistant does -- if you just say "PA" they are going to assume you mean physician assistant -- so the value of it is probably not all that much. But it's better than working at McDonald's.